Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

I have a gas Maytag dryer that I love. It is about seven years

I have a gas Maytag dryer that I love. It is about seven years old but recently I have noticed a slight oily smell when I open the dryer door. I notice it more when the dryer is actually heating not on a low temp cycle. Your thoughts?
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

This is a common issue and it usually means that there are fumes in the air. Sometimes new paint, or hardwood floors, or something will cause the smell. It will go away over time but it definitely has nothing to do with your dryer itself. The heat just causes the fumes to gather inside the drum, but it doesn't affect the performance and isn't a hazard at all.