Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

I have the whirlpool Calypso, the pump has already been replaced.

Customer Question

I have the whirlpool Calypso, the pump has already been replaced. I washed a pair of tennis shoes, shoe strings loose, went to check, & the famous LD code is flashing. I was able to get ONE of the shoe strings out, but the other one is apparantly stuck in there somewhere and could be the cause of the low drain. What can I do to get the other string out? PLEASE tell me its something I can do HERE, IN HOUSE!?!!!
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 6 years ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

If you're handy you can try to remove the string, but it sounds like it's jammed in your drain pump again. You'll need to unplug your washer and tip it backwards so that it's leaning on the wall and you can access underneath the washer. Open the lid and remove as much water as you can by cup or shop vac because when you remove the drain pump, everything in the tub is going to pour out of the hoses. Remove the screws along the front of the bottom panel and the bottom panel will hinge down so you can access inside the unit. Look for the drain pump which is located under the tub somewhat to the front right corner but almost in the middle of the washer. You'll need to disconnect the 2 large rubber hoses going to this pump as well as remove the 3 bolts holding the pump onto the frame, remove the pump and try to remove the shoe string jammed into the impellers. The pump doesn't come apart so if you can't remove it, you'd need to replace the drain pump again.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Are you telling me that a "SHOE STRING" could cause me to have to replace the whole pump again? Sounds like a big piece of faulty crap to me. Before I got ahold of ya, I did an online search for the error codes on my washer, The Calypso, and got slammed with endless pages of complaints about Calypso. Give me your honest opinion, Is this thing worth making any repair effort, or should I just say "Tha'Hell with it", trash it, and find a new washer??
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 6 years ago.
yes it could unfortunately. And this unit really is one of the worst units ever designed, but if you can take the pump off and remove the shoe string, you should be able to get another year out of it? I'm not sure exactly how long, but this model generally only lasts about 2 years or so before it fails, and then it fails about every year after it. The machine works well when it's working, but it certainly isn't reliable.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thankyou for your honesty. Im gonna try the repair. One last question & Im done... If the repair works, Im still headin to town to find a new washer. The question is, WHAT DO I DO WITH THE CALYPSO? Do you know of any place that either buys used appliances, or gives credit for the used one when you buy a new one??
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 6 years ago.
I don't know of a place unfortunately. Craig's list is usualy what people do to sell the unit and for the most part, they don't sell for a whole lot.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Im NOT SATISFIED with the total outcome, finding out I have a piece of S%T here, and gonna have to fork out hundreds for a new one, but that ain't your fault. Thanks for your help & honesty. Take care & God Bless.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 6 years ago.
alright, well I do wish you the best of luck.