The Famous Forry
The Famous Forry, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  I have my own business repairing Washing Machines etc etc.

my lg washing machine goes through all the cycles fine but

Customer Question

my lg washing machine goes through all the cycles fine but when it gets to the spin cycle it keeps getting unbalanced and when it finally finishes the clothes are still wet
Category: Appliance
Expert:  The Famous Forry replied 3 years ago.

Forry :

Hi from David. Is your machine pumping out the water efficiently?

Customer :

yes it seems to be pumping out all the water

Customer :

any ideas what the problem might be

Forry :

Other things that cause unbalance are knotted up clothes which you have dealt with, but an unlevel machine rocking on the edges can cause this also as can a broken or unefficient drum suspension. Please inspect the suspension and or drum retaining springs for wear or damage.

Customer :

no the machine is level and isnt rocking could it have anything to do withthe motor not transfering enough power for the spin

Forry :

What is the suspension like / This is a major cause if one breaks or becomes weak?

Forry :

It could be motor trouble or PCB trouble. The motor is controlled by a module and sometimes this fault occurs. So it could well be the motor not getting the correct power from the controling module.

Customer :

i have read that there are some plastic plates or pins that transfer the power from the motor to the drum.does my machine have the se.model number is XXXXX

Customer :

how do i fix the suspension if this is the cause

Forry :

Remove lid and see if the drum is central and that the up / down suspension has resistance

Forry :

LG motors are guaranteed for ten years I believe. How old is your appliance? Ther is often a badge on the front panel saying 10 years gurantee

Forry :

Please remember to remove power supply before attempting any repairs.

Customer :

i removed lid and it has up/down resitance.i bought the machine secondhand so im not sure that will apply to me

Forry :

I think it will as when machines are sold they have a serial number so as they can tell when it was manufactured. Lots of machines end up without the original purvhaser due to many reasons but the guarantee should still stand. It may be worth contacting LG if it is a serious fault with the motor.

Customer :

any ideas on what else it could be

Forry :

The machine has an out of balance switch that is worth checking out

Customer :

where is that situated

Customer :

o0n my machine

Customer :

but would the machine work at all if this switch had to be reset

Forry :

It is often mounted on the back of the drum about half way down and has 2 wires connected.

Customer :

do i need to take the backing of to get to this

Forry :

It would prevent it from spinning if faulty

Forry :

Yes

Customer :

only on the spin cycle or throughout the whole wash

Forry :

Only spin cycle

Forry :

have you attempted spin with no weight in the machine to see what happens.?

Customer :

i tried it on spin with nothing in it and only the agitator was spinning and not the whole drum

Customer :

maybe that is why all the clothes keep going to one side.

Customer :

any idea what the problem could be

Customer :

i checked to and my machine only has a 3 year warranty

Customer :

have you had any experience with this type

Customer :

of washing machine

Customer :

excuse me are you there

Forry :

It sounds like electronics issue here.