Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

I have a whirlpool gas dryer that is giving me no trouble.

I have a whirlpool gas dryer that is giving me no trouble. When I took my laundry out tonight and closed the door I noticed a faint repetitive noise that stopped as soon as I opened the door. I opened and close the door many times and can only stop the noise if I keep the door open. What can this be and should I keep the door open till I get a technician to come?
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

Where is the noise coming from and what does it sound like?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
sounds like the back of the dryer and it is the faintest repetitive ssh
hmm the only thing that gets energized when you shut the door is the timer, so maybe your timer is going bad? Either way you should be fine by just unplugging the unit or leaving the door open (granted the light will stay on) until you can get a technician to confirm where the noise is coming from and replace the timer if needed.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
It is ok if I leave the door open and leave the unit plugged in?
yes, that will cut power to everything but the door line which you may want to remove so that it doesn't get too hot in the light housing, but that's about it.