Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

Good evening, we bought a Kenmore Elite bottom Freezer Refrigerator

Customer Question

Good evening, we bought a Kenmore Elite bottom Freezer Refrigerator 501#7835 in October and the display screen is showing an OFF message and the fridge & freezer are getting warmer. what do we do? we can't adjust the temp, it seems stuck on OFF
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 5 years ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

If it says "off" try press and holding the down temperature error. If that doesn't work, unplug the unit for 60 seconds and then plug it back in to reset the control board. If it still doesn't work, replace the control board because it's just confused for one reason or another.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
and how do we replace a control board at 23:00?
we've unplugged the unit for 5 minutes ( several times) tried pressing the temp button up or down for a minute at a time and nothing has worked
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 5 years ago.
unfortunately you can't replace it right now, you'll need to wait until tomorrow and get the part at a local appliance parts store. In the mean time you can get dry ice and put it inside the freezer and refrigerator to keep the unit cold over night.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
i'm sorry but this doesn't help me at all. no stores are open at this time and I have no idea where we could find dry ice if any store was open. I don't think you can buy that in Canada in normal stores.
have a good night. thank you for trying to help. I will have to call a tech from Sears in the morning
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 5 years ago.
you can get dry ice at your local grocery store, they carry them in stock all the time.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
good morning,
I thought you should know that you can NOT buy dry ice at local grocery stores in Canada.
We had the technician come from Sears and our fridge somehow got stuck in Demo mode.
I am very displeased to have to pay 30$ for this service as your answer was go buy ice and change the control board.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 5 years ago.
ok well good luck.