Justin
Justin, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Owner of Shaffer's Appliance Service
40730774

November 18, 2007 we purchased a GE range Model JGBP865EMSS,

November 18, 2007 we purchased a GE range Model JGBP865EMSS, Serial #MM227970.
I immediately determined it was not baking properly. I called for service with an authorized establishment recommended by the store where it was purchased. The serviceman told me there was nothing wrong with the oven and the temperature was perfect. However, he did explain that it was engineered to shut off when it came to temp and cool off by 25 degrees when it would again return to proper temp. His theory was that the 25 degree temperature change did not alter baking. He was wrong. A second service company gave me the same answer. I have been so frustrated with poor baking results. The idea that it conserves energy does not seem to make much sense when things take 20 minutes longer to bake and the results are poor. I have a 47 year old GE oven that was a contractors model in this house that we removed and placed in our basement. When I want good results I use it but tonight when I tried to bake frozen biscuits that the package said required 20 to 25 minutes to bake and I baked them for 35 minutes with very poor results I decided I must have a better answer to this problem.
What can be done?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Justin replied 3 years ago.

Justin :

This is an easy one. Since the results have been consistent, and things are taking too long to cook, I have an answer which should help.

Justin :

In your manual, there is a section which discusses temperature adjustment. The temperatures WERE probably correct, but a lot of recipes and a lot of people are accustomed to ovens which are actually too hot. So, with sensors and electronic controls comes near perfection. In the manual, it'll tell you how to adjust the temp. I'd like you to do a +10 degree calibration. Cook no less than 5 recipes and note the difference. If it's on, great, if not go to +15 (Do not add +15 to the +10, just make sure the board says 15) Usually, you can go + or -35 degrees F.

Justin :

I guarantee you'll have your problem solved if this has been an issue since day one.

Justin :

And the -25 thing is only applicable to convection. Either way, any calibration you make will be stored in memory, even thru a power outtage. Once this is done, you do not need to adjust times or your recipe temps.

Justin :

Check out page 23 in your owners manual.

Justin :

The only thing which would also cause poor baking results is a weak ignitor. This could be an issue, but not usually on a 3 yr old oven, and usually not if problem has been since the beginning.

Customer :

What if this doesn't help? Do we still have to pay for suggestion that does not work? How can we accept this until we have actually baked 5 times?

Justin :

Do me a favor quick. Press and hold bake and broil for a few seconds until SF appears. Press bake again and a number will appear. Tell me what that number is?

Justin :

If you click accept, you can still continue to work with us FREE until your problem is resolved. I always advise (and this is what I do professionally in the field) to go NO MORE than +10 the first time. That'll usually get the customer really close. Some customers then do make another +5 or +10 adjustment, but I can assure you that the oven temp sensors are deadly accurate. I run into this ALL the time and I have NEVER had a customer call back after showing them that they can calibrate their oven to work for them without changing their recipes.

Justin :

The old manual thermostat ovens were usually 75 to 100 degrees high. customers got used to cooking that way, and some old recipes were built that way. This is a VERY VERY common problem, which is why the temp adjust is in the manual. They know that precise sensors are going to hold temps very tightly and people are going to experience cooking result issues.

Customer :

-30

Justin :

WOW

Justin :

Make it 0

Justin :

Problem solved :)

Justin :

that means, if you set it to 350, the board is only allowing it to peak at 320.

Justin :

Do the bake and broil again, when SF appears, press bake, use the up arrow to make it 0. Then, if you're just a bit low, add +10

Justin :

Press start once you got it to 0 and it'll be saved.

Justin :

In fact, do go to +10 due to the age of your old oven

Justin :

I think you'll be very satisfied

Customer :

What do you mean "problem solved"? Was the calibration completely off?

Justin :

Oh my lord yes

Justin :

a -30 means that the temperature calibration was either changed incorrectly, or it was set up wrong at the factory.

Customer :

Thank you so much. I have been frustrated to no end with this oven. Love the burners.

Justin :

-30 means the control board is shutting the heat off 30 degrees less than the set point

Justin :

So, if you set at 400, the -30 calibration is holding temp at 370

Justin :

That's way off. Make it +10, monitor your next five recipes and make any other adjustements (IF needed) in five degree increments. Always make sure 00 is the base line. 00 means no calibration and it'll heat to what is set. Due to the fact your old oven is so old, I do want you at a +10.

Justin :

I DO want to hear back from you.

Justin :

Do a simple batch of cookies. The one other thing I want to mention is this:

Customer :

We hope this is the answer. It sounds very reasonable. I don't understand service centers not being able to fix this for us. Thank you. I understand I can contact you again if it doesn't work or we have further questions.

Justin :

No matter what the control board says regarding preheat, do not place your food in until 20 minutes has passed. The internal temp is not truly conditioned in the 6 or 7 minutes the board takes to tell you it's preheated.

Justin :

You can absolutely get back to me if you need. Just log back on and I'm here.

Justin :

I can promise you'll have better results

Customer :

Thanks and we will let you know our results.

Justin :

-30 is absurd lol

Justin :

Someone or something messed up.

Justin :

Probably the factory

Justin :

All ovens should come out at 00 calibration.

Justin :

I'm excited to hear back.... can't wait :)

Customer :

WE will bake tomorrow and let you know. How do we contact you personally.

Justin :

Just log back on and reference your question. I do work through the day, so It would be evening until I could contact you again.

Customer :

Good night and thanks again. We will contact you with results.

Justin :

I'm excited. Just remember, at 00, you still have +35 degrees. since you're setting at +10 I think you're going to be very happy.

Justin :

If not, we'll need to check on that ignitor, but I seriously doubt that's the issue. Have fun. If it works out, you can send me a few cookies :)

Justin :

G'night my friend

Justin :

Is there anything else I can help you with tonight?

Justin :

I am going to change this to Q and A mode vs live chat to make it easier for you to get back to me. I'll post a reply and you can come back. You should be informed via email. Night.

Expert:  Justin replied 3 years ago.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Expert:  replied 3 years ago.
Just reply here when you're ready. Thanks for your question.
Justin, Appliance Technician
Experience: Owner of Shaffer's Appliance Service