Repairman1981
Repairman1981, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  10 years Repairing Appliances, Factory Trained in Several Major Brands Self employed owner at All Better Appliance
41736587

i have a whirlpool dryer and it no longer heats up. i talked

Customer Question

i have a whirlpool dryer and it no longer heats up. i talked to brian from tennisee the other day and he said it was the ignitor so i got the ignitor and i still have no heat and the ignitor does not light up
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Repairman1981 replied 6 years ago.

Repairman1981 :

IF possible you need to access the wiring to the ignitor and see if you have 120v at it when running, this is the fastest way to troubleshoot the rest of the circuit

Repairman1981 :

If the ignitor isn't lighting it could be anything from the timer to the gas valve and several things in between, I have gotten bad ignitors that look good and so I would rule the power issue out first

JACUSTOMER-r9jugbkz- :

so do i take it apart remove the tub and then run it so i can get to the wireing? i also used to hear something click before the burner came on i no longer hear that click

Repairman1981 :

The click is the gas valve opening

Repairman1981 :

The ignitor causes that so if it's not glowing it's normal to not have the click

Repairman1981 :

yes if you have to remove the drum

JACUSTOMER-r9jugbkz- :

ok i will check the voltage to ignitor back untill i find voltage

Repairman1981 :

k Thanks!

Repairman1981 :

Post back and I can pull a diagram and we can trace through it just start with the ignitor 99% of the time the ignitor is the problem (probably why brian suggested it)