Appliance Tech Dave
Appliance Tech Dave, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  30 years experience specializing in Whirlpool, KitchenAid and Kenmore
19941226

We have a Whirlpool washer top load. About 2 years old. Machine

Customer Question

We have a Whirlpool washer top load. About 2 years old. Machine can spin and aggitate. But will not fill up with water.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Tech Dave replied 3 years ago.

Hello, the number you gave is not the model number. The model number is XXXXX the lid at the hinge. I will need that to look up the wiring diagram.

Dave

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

WTW57ESVW0

TYPE 111-05

On your washer the problem is almost always the load sense switch in the control panel. If you don't get cold or hot water that is what you need. It is part number W10292584. If you want to confirm you would need a meter and to test for 120 volts from the violet to white wires on the load sense control when it should be filling. Let me know if you have follow up questions.

Dave

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

i

I will get our electrician from the shop tomorrow and let you know. Where in Houston can I get the load sensing switch?

There are several options where to get the switch. Any Whirlpool appliance dealer that does service or a Sears outlet. Best wishes on the repair.

Dave

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Got your info. Hope it helps. Just got someone to look at it last night and cannot get to back of control panel. How do you get to the controls?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Need to know how to get control cover off to check load sense switch. Cannot get cover off.

There is a spring clip under the front corner of the console on each side. Push back a little and lift slightly on the console and insert a putty knife in and push the clip while still lifting and it will release. The console hinges at the top rear and stays attached.

Dave

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Got it Dave. Your were right on. Thank you. Now another problem occurred. The timer completes the cycle but the tub will not spin during the spin cycle.

Any ideas?

Hello again. Did the no spin problem start as soon as the new load sense control was installed? Also does the washer motor continue to run all the way to the end while it is draining but there is no spin? Normally if it is a mechanical problem is you set it to start at spin it should spin.

Dave

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Actually no. My wife said it would do it off and on. Now all the time. It goes thru the complete cycle. But when gets to spin - it will not spin. But then she can manually reset to spin cycle and it works.

So everything works just not automatically.

And this is a two year old machine.

The guy at the parts house said there have been a lot of problems with this machine.

Whirlpool should have recalled.

Thanks

Ok, that narrows the possibilities to two. Your washer has what is called neutral drain. When the washer moves from agitation to drain the motor stops, reverses and the washer begins to drain. When the timer moves to the spin area, it stops all motor operation for a short pause to allow the gearcase to come out of neutral and prepare for spin. When this occurs a "clunk" is heard. If your timer does the pause but the washer still won't spin when the motor starts, you will need a gearcase. If there is no timer pause and the timer advances to the off on the dial without spinning, you need a timer. Sometimes if the gearcase won't shift at the first pause, lifting the lid a few times will get the gearcase to shift, but this proves the gearcase is the problem. By percentages the problem is more often the gearcase. The gearcase used to be under a 5 year parts warranty but almost all manufacturers dropped the extended warranties about 4 years ago. Best wishes on your repair. Dave

Have you been able to narrow the possibilities, timer or gearcase?

Dave