Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

I have an old Maytag top loader...probably over ten years old.

Customer Question

I have an old Maytag top loader...probably over ten years old. I overloaded it (tried to wash a pillow). The machine stopped and won't empty, spin or agitate. The light comes on so I know there is power. Have I totaled my beloved machine?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 5 years ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

I doubt the motor is bad if it's not making a sound on wash or drain and spin. Chances are your out of balance switch went back or the lid switch went bad. Either of those should reset when you open the lid and shut it. If it doesn't, you need to order and replace your lid switch assembly under the control panel directly in the middle. Below is a link to the switch assembly I recommend ordering and replacing.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The motor is not making a sound because nothing is working. The lid switch clicks in and out....
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 5 years ago.
it doesn't matter is the lid switch clicks or not, there is an out of balance switch as well as a fuse on the switch assembly which is why you need to replace the switch assembly. And like I said before, if it's not making a sound, that's a good thing---it means your motor is good.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
MANY THANKS! I hope you're right!
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 5 years ago.
ok well good luck. If you need anything else just let me know. You can ask follow up questions for up to 30 days even after you accept if you run into something.