Craig
Craig, Electrical Technician
Experience:  33 years experience electrical troubleshooting industrial equipment and control systems.
21549903

I have a lights and sounds of Christmas device (model#67791)

I have a lights and sounds of Christmas device (model#67791) while installing lights I checked it out with one short strand of lights attached. It worked fine for about 15 minutes then...nothing...nadda, zippo...The power switch is illuminated showing that there is power to the unit, but no sound output and no electrical output on any of the six channels. I have changed the fuse and the problem persists. Any suggestions?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Craig replied 6 years ago.

Craig :

This is a low voltage transformer that feeds the lights. Unplug all the light strings that are currently plugged in. You most likely have voltage to outlets but a shorted light string can pull the low voltage power down to nothing so the other light strings won't light. Pull all, then plug in one at a time until one shuts the rest down. That's the bad one.

Craig :

Low voltage systems can 'pull down' under shorted conditions like you described.

Craig :

A short on low voltage can go to zero volts when shorted, then come back up to 12 volts when short removed from system

JACUSTOMER-3ja1wulr- :

I tried that...I went ahead and cracked the case and discovered that the transformer itself was smoked.