Tim Alan
Tim Alan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Amana, A&E (Whirlpool) ,and Maytag factory service

I am trying to convert kenmore range form lp to natl gas I

Customer Question

I am trying to convert kenmore range form lp to natl gas I flipped over the orfice on the regulator but i get a whistling sound from the oven burner and the stove burners flames are low and dont always light
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tim Alan replied 3 years ago.

Tim Alan :

Hi my name isXXXXX can help you with your problem. What exactly did you change on the regulator?

Tim Alan :

Typically it's a spring that needs to be replaced on the regulator and all the orifices on each of the burners need to be changed. The whistling and low flames are an indication of incorrect orifice size.

Tim Alan :

no conversion kits are made for lp to natural typically when there change from natural to lp the parts should be blaced with the unit in a bag either on the back or in a drawer.

Customer :

but the orifice is marked nat /lp w/arrowes and the larger one is pointing down into th reg

Tim Alan :

did you change the other orifices on your burners if you didn't the problem will still be there.

Tim Alan :

There is also a spring that needs to be changed out inside the regulator to convert that back to natural

Customer :

the burners are all connected to the main gas tube that runs off the reg it seems to me that there are not indvidual orifices for each burner

Tim Alan :

each burner has it's own orifice

Customer :

does it come off the gas valve attached to your buner knobs?

Tim Alan :

obviously you should not be doing this repair please for your own safety and those around you call a professional

Tim Alan :

sorry but I will be opting out have a good evening

Customer :

I am,I worked for sears/Ae for a while and this was not usually a hard job to complete

Customer :

when?

Tim Alan :

ok gas conversions should be done only by professionals. I've worked for company's that only sent me out to do the conversion A&E being one of those company's even though there dozens of other tech's capable of doing it. You do one thing wrong and you have a gas leak or an explosion. There is a risk to doing this if you do not know what you are doing.

Tim Alan :

I don't want to instruct somebody that may not do something right, because of the consequences. I don't want a guilty conscience I have enough trouble sleeping at night.

Tim Alan :

If not all of the conversion parts were saved especially for the valve, you should really replace the valve, you really have me concerned over the gas valve if that's not right you could incomplete combustion during oven use and a possible explosion.

Customer :

so do i I allredy replaced an ignitor in my customers oven.Now she wants a used oven this one im talking about installed and it was bought from a person off the power grid who thought it used to much power! it was set up for lp ,but she is on nat gas

Tim Alan :

for safety purposes and to make sure it gets done correctly, replace the regulator/valve that valve will take care of the oven and you don't need to worry about the oven that would all done.

Tim Alan :

Then each of the cooktop burners right under the burner caps or tops are the orifices that need to be changed out yes the gas valve has piping to the cooktop but it does not contain any orifice those are on each of the burners

Tim Alan :

and leak check and test everything

Customer :

Im not sure i made myself clear.I fixed her old oven and it works perfect.The new(used) oven needs the conversion.Is there a website (that i cant find) that can give you schematics and tech info and part#s and other info?

Tim Alan :

I'll give you the part numbers but you will not find any info on gas conversions in any manual just what typically comes with a kit. by the way sears parts online has the schematics an parts listing you said you worked for sears right the parts diagrams would be helpful to you check it out.

Customer :

if it was changed to lp then surely there must be orifices to change it back to nat gas

Tim Alan :

All the parts listed for any gas appliance are for natural gas

Tim Alan :

so yes the orifices that typically come with the uniot is what you need

Customer :

sears let me go when business was bad so i started my own!plus i did not sell enough of there value added products (washer cleaner,water filters,etc)They think thats where the money is.I was more concern with cust Satisfaction.Never thought i would be logging into a SEARS website!

Customer :

is that model a GE make,cause the kenmore name means nothing its a sears thing

Tim Alan :

Yea I got of it to, I totally understand i'm not a salesman i'm an appliance tech.

Tim Alan :

I'm not sure what it is to be honest with you

Customer :

my customer approvel rating was top 5 but i did not sell much other of there crap

Tim Alan :

Well good luck don't blow yourself up aren't you glad you don't work for sears anymore

Tim Alan :

Don't forget to press the accept button did you need anything else.

Customer :

YES,I wont blow myself up,Im 50 years old w/lots of exp.And used to work in engineer on hi volt power sys for Avtron Mfg. 3MW in Cleveland till i moved to AZ and started my business.Thanks

Tim Alan :

your welcome take care

Customer :

No i reluctenly will see what sears site will give me

Tim Alan :

ok, thanks