Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

my ge bottom freezer refrigerator keeps clicking !! sometimes

Customer Question

my ge bottom freezer refrigerator keeps "clicking"!! sometimes it's only 1/2 hour, but now it's going on 2 hours and making me crazy!! when i open the door, the thermostat says that the freezer setting is -47 and the refrigerator setting is -43.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 5 years ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

The clicking is the compressor because it's failing to start. It means that your compressor starting to go out and will need to be replaced in order to fix the problem. This is a very common problem on these new GE refrigerator units, and the compressor has been redesigned, but of course never recalled. Eventually the clicking will go on for hours and the compressor will not start up and the entire unit will warm up if you let it go too long. A compressor replacement is about $550.