Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

My Maytag Neptune front-loading washer is squeaking a lot.

My Maytag Neptune front-loading washer is squeaking a lot. We've had it for about four years, but the squeaking started just in the last few washes.

Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 5 years ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

Does it squeak if you open the door and turn the tub by hand? Does it squeak more in wash than in spin or ??
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I just tried spinning the tub by hand--no squeaking, but there was a little noise--like a gentle ticking?

It definitely squeaks during the wash cycle, and I think it's not as noticable during the spin.

Also, last night it made a large groan at one point in the wash cycle. We paused the wash cycle, but it didn't make that noise when moving the tub by hand, and the noise didn't return when we started the wash again. It didn't make that noise when washing today either.

I think it may also be leaking. I'm planning to pull it out and investigate the leak later today.

thanks again for your help!

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 5 years ago.
It sounds like your main bearing is going out on the back of the washer. You can pull the washer out and remove the back access panel to confirm, but if the bearing that is in the middle of the back drum is leaking or has shavings around it, you need to replace your main rear bearing which requires a new tub assembly and that's about a $700-800 repair which usually means that the washer should probably be replaced rather than repairing the unit.