Appliance_Ray
Appliance_Ray, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Own and operate an appliance installation and service company.
29379964

Ray We have pretty much exactly the same problem with our

Ray: We have pretty much exactly the same problem with our Miele Optima as described on this Web page where you were helping someone:

http://www.justanswer.com/questions/35630-i-have-a-miele-optima-series-g2430sc-dishwasher-that-is-displaying

Our dishwasher is the Optima G2470. We've followed all the steps you went through right to the end in that Q&A - the last thing we did was remove the side panel to see if water was going into the clear plastic thing (the diverter?) - it was not.

Can you suggest what we should do next? We really do not relish the idea of this expensive dishwasher costing us an arm and a leg to fix.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance_Ray replied 3 years ago.

Appliance_Ray :

Let me review the question you are referencing and I will get back to you.

Customer :

Sure thing - I will definitely. But doesn't that come at the end of the chat? The message makes it sound like I am leaving chat if I hit accept right now.

Appliance_Ray :

Sorry My mistake. I will disable the ACCEPT button on my end

Appliance_Ray :

OK So I understand you have a flashing intake drain light. Do you also have a fault code in the display?

Customer :

No, we have not seen a fault code.

Appliance_Ray :

Does your machine have a display?

Customer :

Yes - I turned it on just now - it takes about 20 seconds to beep - i'll tell you what it looks like.

Customer :

- Machine beeps

Customer :

-Intake/drain indicator light flashes

Appliance_Ray :

OK turn off the dishwasher. Open the door and close it. turn the dishwasher on. Do you get the Intake Drain light right away

Customer :

- rinse aid is lit up (cycle is on normal)

Customer :

YES

Customer :

it comes on right away

Customer :

or within 5 seconds

Appliance_Ray :

OK

Appliance_Ray :

Give me a minute to see if I can find the procedure for extracting the fault codes from your machine

Customer :

ok

Appliance_Ray :

Do you hear a pump running when the light comes on

Customer :

Yes - sounds like a dry pump

Appliance_Ray :

OK that is the drain pump. It should run for 30 seconds. Does your drain pump just run continuosly?

Customer :

I'm not sure - how should i check?

Appliance_Ray :

Yes turn on the dishwasher like you have been doing and see if the drain pump runs for 60 seconds. then turn off the dishwasher and get back to me

Customer :

ok

Customer :

it does not run continuously

Customer :

i hear a pump come on, shut off, then come on again

Customer :

then a second pump like sound starts up

Customer :

then the beeper comes on and both of those stop

Customer :

the second pump sounds like the one that used to bring water into the machine

Customer :

ps both pumps are running when the second comes on - but both stop with the beeper

Customer :

PPS - my father in law bought this thing for me - i'd never pay $1600+ for a POS that breaks when i could buy 12 dishwashers for the same price!!!!

Appliance_Ray :

I understand your fustration. We are going to figure this out. OK the first pump is the drain pump. It should run for approximately 30 seconds and then shut off. Does it sound like it is shutting off?

Customer :

yes definitely

Appliance_Ray :

Next, water should be entering the dishwasher. Like you said, you should see water flowing through the water diverter on the left side of the machine. It should be pooling in the bottom of the dishwasher, above the screen. Do you see water coming into the dishwasher?

Appliance_Ray :

This all happens after the drain pump turns off ofcourse

Customer :

No, we are not seeing any water coming into the dishwasher and we have not see it flowing into the water diverter.

Customer :

we drained the water when we cleaned out the triple filter system and there has never been additional water to clean out since then

Customer :

ie not for a couple days of trials

Appliance_Ray :

At the end of the water supply line there is an INLET valve. Is may be under your sink. A white boxy thing. May have a yellow label on it. Can you find it?

Customer :

sure - this is the boxy thing that buzzes, right? we'll go pull out the dishwasher - takes a moment

Appliance_Ray :

Yes that is it

Customer :

ok we pulled out the dw and located this valve

Appliance_Ray :

OK start the dishwasher again. After the drain pump shuts off, the inlet valve should open (Buzz) and allow water to flow into the dishwasher. If you can not hear it, perhaps you can put you hand on it to feel the vibration.

Customer :

will go try now

Customer :

it buzzes (can feel it, not hear it) after the drain pump stops and right before the beeping starts

Appliance_Ray :

OK. good. Have you checked that the water valve is open and there is good water flow

Customer :

yes - we took it apart and verified there's good flow - good pressure - the hose is not kinked or anything - we have strong pressure from the wall source to the inlet valve

Customer :

it's 5/8" (or whatever the standard kitchen size is) at the wall and connects to a converter piece as it enters the inlet valve

Appliance_Ray :

Can you disconnect the converter piece at the water inlet valve so that you can look inside the inlet valve?

Customer :

yes - we did this once already and took out the rubber seal and the filter - should we do this again?

Appliance_Ray :

OK can you check the water flow at the converter piece. Maybe put it in a bucket and turn on the water valve

Customer :

trying now.

Customer :

Water flow is great - AND I noticed something interesting you may find relevant

Customer :

there is a black stain on the floor at the back right corner of the dishwasher, as if something (liquid) has come out of the machine there

Customer :

the back right leg is also corroded some - making it hard/impossible to adjust - also suggesting some kind of leak there perhaps?

Appliance_Ray :

Do you still have the left side panel removed?

Customer :

no but we can remove it - want us to?

Appliance_Ray :

The bottom pan of the dishwasher acts as an overflow protection. You may be able to see into that bottom pan with the side panel removed. Lets remove the side panel again and look for evidence of water in that lower pan.

Customer :

ok

Customer :

that bottom pan is dry and clean (and my wife just now says the stain I saw on the floor is likely from a watermelon that seeped down between the adjacent cabinets)

Appliance_Ray :

ok

Appliance_Ray :

In the side of the plastic water diverter there is a small circuit board with two wires attached to it. That circuit board should be clipped into the diverter. Does it seems secured and the wires /plug well attached?

Customer :

yes it is secured and the wires are well attached

Appliance_Ray :

Ok at the base of the diverter there are several hoses attached. one of those hoses may be blue. Do you see it?

Customer :

down below the machine inside we can see 1) a white hose that seems to come in from the intake hose, 2) a big hose (drain hose going out?) and 3) coming from the base of the diverter a black-ish rubber hose.

Customer :

is # XXXXX it?

Appliance_Ray :

Good We are just trying identify the inlet hose.

Customer :

we can't see under there real well

Appliance_Ray :

Assuming that we have good water pressure and that the screen on the inlet valve is clear, we should have water flowing into the diverter from that hose when the inlet valve is actuated.

Customer :

is there a way to test that

Appliance_Ray :

So if we start the dishwasher again and wait till we feel the inlet valve vibrate then we should see water flowing into the diverter at that hase

Appliance_Ray :

hose

Appliance_Ray :

It probably is difficult to remove that hose from the diverter with out removing the bottom pan on your machine... as I recall

Appliance_Ray :

We should be able to see some water flowing into the diverter

Appliance_Ray :

At this point we are trying to narrow the problem down to the inlet valve

Customer :

ok we need to reconnect the hoses and then we'll try that

Appliance_Ray :

You say that you removed the filter from the inlet valve?

Appliance_Ray :

And it was clean?

Customer :

yes - it has one little spec of grit in it, which my wife cleaned out

Customer :

just now we reconnected the hoses and turned it on - i did not see any water at all enter the diverter and could not feel water pressure hit the black hose at the base of the diverter (though it was pretty stiff so hard to feel)

Customer :

the filter HAD one little spec - she cleaned it out 2 days ago

Appliance_Ray :

OK so we are down to the water inlet valve as the culprit.

Appliance_Ray :

There is one more thing we can do to the water inlet valve

Customer :

does it involve shotguns?

Appliance_Ray :

No fire arms will be required for this procedure. Disconect the valve from the converter piece. Remove the filter. Below the filter is a colored insert. Might be green, or blue or gray. See if you can carefully pull it out of the inlet vavle

Appliance_Ray :

valve

Customer :

ok will take a few

Customer :

ok i got it out - its a greenish blue piece of plastic with a rubber washer on it

Appliance_Ray :

There are small holes in this insert. Are they clear?

Customer :

yes they are clear - we can see light through them

Appliance_Ray :

ok

Appliance_Ray :

OK Lets try this to verify the problem. Press the Tab button 1x.The "Tab" LED flashes 1x quickly intermittently. Press the Program button. Press it again to display fault codes that may have been saved

Appliance_Ray :

Tell me what you see

Customer :

ok which button is the tab one? the one with the gel/tab indicator light under it?

Appliance_Ray :

yes

Customer :

do i turn on the machine first or something? if i just press tab when it's off, nothing happens

Appliance_Ray :

yes turn on the machine first

Customer :

not sure i'm doing this right - the tab LED is not flashing intermittently - I just end up seeing the timer numbers

Customer :

is there some step I'm missing?

Appliance_Ray :

Sorry, I was looking at the wrong machine

Appliance_Ray :

Lets start again

Customer :

ok

Appliance_Ray :

1. Open the door. 2. Switch off the appliance.

Customer :

ok

Appliance_Ray :

1. Press and hold the Program button. 2. Switch on the appliance. 3. Release the Program button. 4. Immediately press the Program button 3 times; on the 3rd time, hold until the “Rinse & Hold” LED flashes. 5. Release the Program button. 6. If the “Rinse & Hold” LED does not light up, repeat the procedure.

Customer :

ok its flashing

Appliance_Ray :

Press the GEL button once. The "GEL" LED flashes once quickly intermittently. Press the Program button. Press it again to display fault codes that may have been saved

Customer :

ok - and before I do that - I am seeing

Customer :

-

Customer :

1

Customer :

4

Customer :

5

Appliance_Ray :

OK

Customer :

Just did the gel button and program

Customer :

now i'm seeing F 5 2

Appliance_Ray :

F 52

Appliance_Ray :

Is this the only fault it is displaying?

Customer :

yes

Appliance_Ray :

OK To delete the fault memory, press the Program button again and hold it for 4 seconds

Customer :

ok now it says f 0

Appliance_Ray :

The machine is sensing that no water is flowing into the dishwasher. The inlet valve soleniod is energizing (buzzing) but the valve is not opening. There is no way to repair the valve. It has to be replaced. The hose and valve come as one piece and is called the "Water Proof System"

Customer :

does it have to be installed by a licensed repair person, i imagine?

Appliance_Ray :

Are you up for replacing it your self? I can walk you through the procedure

Appliance_Ray :

Is the machine still under warranty?

Customer :

i can do it myself

Customer :

no, our warranty is gone - was for one year and we're on year 3

Customer :

where do you buy the system? a miele dealer (we have one here in austin)

Appliance_Ray :

OK then, The part can only be purchased from Miele. They have a ready supply here in the states and can get it to you over night if you like 1-800-843-7231

Appliance_Ray :

1. Un plug the dishwasher

Appliance_Ray :

2. Lay dishwasher on it's side (Have towels ready there will be quite abit of seepage)

Appliance_Ray :

3. Remove the base pan. There are four T20 screws.

Customer :

we're following - thanks for going through this

Appliance_Ray :

4. There will be a water line connection at the diverter and a small electrical plug

Appliance_Ray :

I always recommend taking a few digital photos at htis point. To make sure everything goes back where it belongs

Appliance_Ray :

this

Appliance_Ray :

5. The hose is clipped to the back of the dishwasher with a retainer that can be released with a flat tip screwdriver. Reinstall the clip on the new hose in approximately the same position.

Appliance_Ray :

6. Reinstall the bottom pan. Gently tighten the screws. They are easy to strip out.

Appliance_Ray :

7. Stand the machine back up and reinstall into the cabinetry.

Appliance_Ray :

8. Leave the toe kick panel off so that you can check for leaks during the initial operation

Appliance_Ray :

And now you are ready for years of dishwashing bliss

Customer :

thank you - you may have prevented a dishwasher homicide

Customer :

is this a common problem with miele's? seems very chintzy

Customer :

anything we can say to encourage a discount from them?

Customer :

(for the part)

Appliance_Ray :

Not common, but not unheard of. I have changes a number of waterproof hoses over the years

Customer :

thank u very much

Appliance_Ray :

You are a loyal Miele Customer..Your dishwasher is only 3 years old. Certainly you would hope that they could extend some "good will" your way

Customer :

we'll try that - and the last two are even true

Appliance_Ray :

I have enjoyed working with you on this issue. I commend you on your willingness to tackle this problem.

Experience: Own and operate an appliance installation and service company.