Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  7+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

dishwasher is leaving gritty soap residue (not a film) on glasses

Customer Question

dishwasher is leaving gritty soap residue (not a film) on glasses and mugs. I have tried all of the following without success... run hot water at nearest sink before turning on the dishwasher, using much less soap, changing detergents several times, using jet dry, not using jet dry, cleaning the dishwasher with vinegar and baking soda, just lemon juice and have tried the Finish dishwasher cleaning product. I also have tried the pots and pans cycle with the High Temp Scrub and also tried the normal cycle with Sani-Rinse. I have to rinse every glass and mug after removing from the dishwasher, otherwise there are soap bubbles when I fill the glass with water. Please help -dishwasher is 5 years old and has been kept in great condition - kitchenaid model KUDSO1FLSSS - ready to buy a new one, but afraid there are no good ones out there anymore - wish I could have back my old Whirlpool...
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 3 years ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

OK so I've included a breakdown of the pump below so you can see how to take it apart and reassemble it.

First thing you need to do is take out the bottom rack. After that you need to remove the bottom wash arm. To do this, grab the center plastic nut with your pliers and spin the washarm off. Next, you must take off the arm that goes to the back feed line. This comes out by turning the arm about 45-50 degrees in the clockwise direction. It clips onto the back arm so unclip it as you are turning it. You have to turn HARD, do not worry the plastic is sturdy and will not break. Just remove that arm and also the plastic nut.

Ok now we're down to where the picture shows us. There are 4 torx screws holding on number 1. Remove these screws and pull up on number 1 to take it out.

After that you will see all the rest of the parts. You must take number 8 off. There is one screw holding the plastic cover number 8. Remove this and DO NOT remove number 6. That is the part you are trying to get to. That part CAN NOT be easily reinstalled so just clean the screen with a toothbrush, but please do not remove it because it's very difficult to install and I have no tips on how to do so--- it's just a battle.

That should be about everything.

CLICK HERE FOR BREAKDOWN

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Can you explain why that little part is causing the problem I am having?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 3 years ago.
because that part gets clogged with particles of food and some will go through, others will not then it sprays through on all the dishes
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

okay - but I am not having an issue with any food being left on the dishes, it is a gritty soap residue on the glasses, I see actual soap bubbles when water goes into the glasses after they come out of the dishwasher.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 3 years ago.
it does the same problem as well, just watch the video and it explains everything.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

what video?

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 3 years ago.
Below is a link to the video again.

Click here

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
okay - watched the video - would like to complete the task and run a load of dishes to see if it solves the problem - will be able to complete tomorrow.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 3 years ago.
ok good luck.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank-you, I will let you know what the result is - say a little prayer, this has been driving us crazy ..
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 3 years ago.
ok good luck to you
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience: 7+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
completed the procedure yesterday (did find a toothpick, pistachio shell and "gunk"), ran a rinse only cycle and noticed suds on the bottom of the dishwasher (did not input any dw detergent) - so ran abouot 5 more Rinse Only cycles, then put 2 cups of vinegar in the DW, reduced the Rinse Aid setting to just under 2 and ran a wash cycle. Today I ran a Normal Wash Cycle with the Sani Rinse using a small amount of Cascade Powder (full load of dishes,pots, glasses, etc.) - I did not feel any gritty soap residue and while there some bubbles still did appear in the glasses when I put water in, the bubbles appear to be just water bubbles and not due to soap.... hopefully the results continue ... thank-you - worth the $35 compared to buying a new dishwasher - though my husband (who actually completed the task) is now claiming that I owe him a boat! LOL
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 3 years ago.
well a boat is steep, but I'm glad you got it working again.

Edited by appliance Doc on 12/3/2010 at 12:13 AM EST