S.E.Thomas
S.E.Thomas, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  16 yrs in the field and current owner of S.E.Thomas appliance

i just bought a used maytag neptune model number MAH6500AWW,

i just bought a used maytag neptune model number MAH6500AWW, the seller told me a repair man told him it needed a new motor, said it wouldn't spin....i just pugged it in and it seems to work fine ...except, drum is all over the place during the wash cycle...but wanted to see the spin cycle....can't seem to manually do that....HELP
Category: Appliance
Expert:  S.E.Thomas replied 3 years ago.

S.E.Thomas :

hello, welcome to just answer. my name is XXXXX XXXXX and i will be happy to assist you with your problem. there s a spin only cycle on the washer. have you set it to the spin cycle and started it? If so what happens when this is done?

S.E.Thomas :

Also when you ran the wash cycle did the door lock light come on?

Customer :

i hit pause for a few minutes, while waiting for a cmplete cycle, when i hit start again, it seems it's still in pause mode...i hit thew spin cycle button, it spun once, just like in wash cycle then stopped

Customer :

and yes the door lock came on

S.E.Thomas :

What do you mean it spun once? did the drum only make one rotation and stop?

Customer :

it made a few turns, counter clockwise, and then stopped

Customer :

when i bought this the seller disclosed it had problems, so i wanted to see it run

Customer :

i watched it run through wash and the to rinse...then i tried to manually hit spin.....did i goof??

S.E.Thomas :

no that wont hurt it. you should be able to hit the cancel button and then hit the spin cycle and let it run. is the door open now?

S.E.Thomas :

it sounds to me like the motor and cotroller is bad

S.E.Thomas :

thius is sold as a kit.

Customer :

actually,,,i tried the old power on clear trick...shut it down and unplugged it....still unplugged

S.E.Thomas :

plug it back in and see if the door is unlocked

S.E.Thomas :

are ytiu with the washer now?

Customer :

ok, i'll check

Customer :

door is unlocked, start button is bliking

S.E.Thomas :

ok close the door and select the spin option and push start.

S.E.Thomas :

listen for the door to lock and watch for the door lock light.

Customer :

ok, door locked then un locked,,,then it locked....still water in the drum, so it's walking

S.E.Thomas :

walking?

Customer :

the washes is unlevel i think...but it spins for a couple rotations then stops...is that normal

Customer :

it keeps spinning then stopping, off and on

S.E.Thomas :

The pump should be running right now. yes that is normal. it will go back and fourth untill all the water is drained.

S.E.Thomas :

that is normal but it should be draining the wate

S.E.Thomas :

sorry water

S.E.Thomas :

it should have started at about 12 min on the screen. it wont start to spin till around 8-9 min left

Customer :

actually it started at 10.....don't hear the pump running or water draining, still hear alot of water in the drum.....it drained fine after the wash

S.E.Thomas :

Can yiu see the water?

Customer :

no, no plastic front, but i can hear it when it stops

S.E.Thomas :

it will always sound like there is water in the washer. this is normal as there is a liquid balance ring around the inner spin basket.

S.E.Thomas :

if you cant see any water then there is no water in it.

Customer :

ok, now there's an LR error

Customer :

and it stopped

S.E.Thomas :

perfect! LR is a locked rotor. You need to change the motor and motor controller.

S.E.Thomas :

i need the first 2 nymbers of the serial number

S.E.Thomas :

sorry numbers

Customer :

24..

S.E.Thomas :

give me one min and i will get you the part number and price

Customer :

thanx shuan

Customer :

sorry...shaun

S.E.Thomas :

this model has the new style motor and controller. this means that they do not come as a kit. you need to figure out weather the motor or the board is bad. there is a tech sheet inside the top control panel that explains how to do this. remove the 4 screws across the top rear of the control panel and get the papers found inside.

S.E.Thomas :

these parts can be found at www.applianceartspros.com at these discounted prices

Customer :

the seller told me a tech told him it was the motor...does that sound right?

S.E.Thomas :

it could be the motor or the board. the only way to know for sure is to do the test. the tech sheet will tell you how to do this. you will remove one of the connectors on th motor controller and try to run the spin. if it spins then you will need the board. if it does not then you will need the motor. the tech sheet will explain exactly how to do this.

S.E.Thomas :

did you get the part numbers and prices?

S.E.Thomas :

one other thing you can do for a simple check is remove the belt from the rear of the washer and turn the motor pulley by hand. it should be pretty free. if it is not then the motor is bad for sure.

Customer :

yes, i got the list, just pulled the tech sheet out

S.E.Thomas :

great! then no one has stole or missed placed it.

S.E.Thomas :

that sheet will be your best friend while you own this washer.

Customer :

lol

Customer :

so if i pull the belt and the motor turns sluggish, it's the motor?

S.E.Thomas :

yes if it is hard to turn at all by hand then it is bad for sure. these are actually really nice and good machines. these tech sheets are a big help though when you need to test cretin things.

Customer :

you've been a great asset shaun, thanks....i was in electronics in the navy so, i guess i can get it from here, thanks again

S.E.Thomas :

you can always return to this question if you need further assistance. your welcome and thank you. happy holidays!!!

Customer :

same to you..

S.E.Thomas :

you can ask for me by name in the future as well.

S.E.Thomas, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 16 yrs in the field and current owner of S.E.Thomas appliance