S.E.Thomas
S.E.Thomas, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  16 yrs in the field and current owner of S.E.Thomas appliance

Maytag Gas dryer Quiet Series 100, approx 4 yrs old. Model

Maytag Gas dryer Quiet Series 100, approx 4 yrs old. Model number MDGT446AWW. Dryer has 2 issues. One occurred shortly after acquisition. Burnt hot gas smell occasionally during some cycles. No consistency to when or how. Not related to lint build-up at all. Have explored this through various sources on the Internet and several solutions were offered but none have completely alleviated this annoyance. Second issue is recent & is in need of an answer for repair. Now shutting off in mid cycle - no matter what setting. Pressing restart button alleviated initially. Then it began to shut off sooner into the cycle and would not restart with touch of button but would restart after door opened & closed then pushed button to restart. Now is shutting off less than 5 minutes into cycle and multiple opening & closing of door is needed or sitting for a time before restarting is necessary. The dryer has been cleaned & vacuumed of all lint throughout the dryer and the complete dryer vent pipe and problem has continued even after thorough cleaning. What is going on?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  S.E.Thomas replied 3 years ago.

S.E.Thomas :

hello, welcome to just answer. my name is XXXXX XXXXX and i will be happy to assist you with your problem. This is a bad motor. What is happening is the motor has an overload on it and when it gets hot it will shut the dryer down. it will then not start again untill the motor cools down. The more you run the dryer the worse the motor is getting and is why it is stopping earlier and taking longer to start. The motor can be purchased at www.appliancepartspros.com at a discounted price.

Customer :

what causes that burnt gas smell in gas dryers occassionally?

S.E.Thomas :

Im sorry about the delay. For some reason the system is not telling us techs when the customer replies back every time. As for the gas smell this could happen if the vent on the outside of your house is in an area where wind can blow against it, it is possible that you can be getting some slight back pressure from time to time and is why your only getting it every now and again. There is really no other way to get this smell inside the house as all of the fumes are pushed straight out the vent to the outside.

S.E.Thomas, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 16 yrs in the field and current owner of S.E.Thomas appliance