S.E.Thomas
S.E.Thomas, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  16 yrs in the field and current owner of S.E.Thomas appliance

I replaced the master control board and everything seemed to

I replaced the master control board and everything seemed to go smoothly until I noticed that the upper oven broiler element was on, even though it wasn't turned on on the panel. Did I hook a wire up wrong?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  S.E.Thomas replied 3 years ago.

S.E.Thomas :

hello, welcome to just answer. my name is XXXXX XXXXX and i will be happy to assist you with your problem. was everything off when this happened?

Customer :

Yes. You may recall that you found me the part number for the master control panel. I haven't had time to replace it until tonight. The swap went well, and I made sure to unhook and replace each wire one at a time as you suggested.

Customer :

I turned on the breaker and the panel was flashing so I set the clock. Then I noticed the upper oven was warm. When I checked it I saw that the broiler element was red hot.

S.E.Thomas :

It sounds like you have a bad control board. Refresh my memory, what was the original problem?

Customer :

That was the original problem. You diagnosed it and found me a part to replace it with.

Customer :

The original board had fried after giving me lots of warning alarms.

Customer :

This is a brand new board.

Customer :

From Appliance Parts Pros.com

S.E.Thomas :

yes. just wondered what was wrong with the first board. Do you have a volt meter?

Customer :

Oddly enough, if I select the broiler on the panel it seems to cool the element down.

Customer :

Yes, let me find it.

Customer :

Multimeter

S.E.Thomas :

Pull the unit out and remove the rear cover of the unit. this is either a bad board or misplaced wire. unplug the unit before removing the rear covers. let me know when you have them removed. keep the unit close enough to plug it back in.

S.E.Thomas :

The first thing i want you to do is follow the 2 wires from the broil element and tell me where they go. one should go to where the power cord is and the other should be on the control board marked BR

S.E.Thomas :

Please also get me the model number again.

Customer :

MER6769BAW

S.E.Thomas :

OK LET ME KNOW WHEN YOU TRACE THE WIRES

S.E.Thomas :

Sorry didnt notice the caps lock was on

Customer :

looking...

S.E.Thomas :

The one side will go to a thermostat and then to the clock on a terminal marked BR

Customer :

One wire on each end of the element? Both pink?

Customer :

No one pink one brown

S.E.Thomas :

thats better

Customer :

terminal marked TAN

Customer :

Some rust on one of the terminals hooked to the thermostat. Will clean

S.E.Thomas :

ok that is correct. remove the brown wire from the thermostat that is coming from the clock. put your red lead from your tester on it and the black to ground. Plug the unit back in and tell me if you have power?

Customer :

Sorry I'm a talented amateur at best - what setting for the mulitimeter?

S.E.Thomas :

lol. Thats ok. you want it set to read volts. you should have a setting for 600, set it there and then first test the outside two terminals of the cord. this will tell me if you have it set correctly.

S.E.Thomas :

It should read 220-240 volts

Customer :

can I ground right on the case?

S.E.Thomas :

yes

Customer :

237 on the cord

S.E.Thomas :

great. Now remove the brown wire from the thermostat going to the board. test from that wire to ground

S.E.Thomas :

be careful not to touch the wire or the wire to ground. this will shock you or blow the board.

Customer :

118

Customer :

broiler element is not on now.

S.E.Thomas :

there is the problem. the board is bad. you should show 0 until the broil function is selected.

S.E.Thomas :

it wont come on as we have the wire off

S.E.Thomas :

you were sent a bad board.

S.E.Thomas :

the relay for the broil function is stuck

Customer :

Crap. I've had this board for awhile. I hope they let me return it.

Customer :

No chance of fixing the relay?

S.E.Thomas :

That may be a problem. give them a call and explain what happened. it would also help to tell them that you had an authorized service person change it. in the mean time if you need to use the unit, remove the other end of the tan wire from the board and you can cook for the holiday.

S.E.Thomas :

these can be repaired by some shops but can cost as much as the board is new. its not really worth sending them out.

Customer :

The end that's hooked to the control unit?

S.E.Thomas :

yes and leave the end off of the thermostat as well.

Customer :

So the broiler won't work but everything else will?

S.E.Thomas :

make sure both ends are clear of touching the terminals.

S.E.Thomas :

correct

Customer :

What's your experience with AppliancePartsPros.com?

Customer :

Are they good with returns?

S.E.Thomas :

I recommend them as they are alot better than most. i have had great things from them. the only problem here is that you had the part for a while.

S.E.Thomas :

in most cases yes. as i said though with you having the part a while that could be a problem.

Customer :

They shipped it on the 6th, so it's been less than 30 days. Hopefully that'll be okay.

S.E.Thomas :

it may be ok. like i said, i would tell them you had a qualified tech change it. you just ordered the part as it was cheaper that way.

S.E.Thomas :

tell them that he said (i said) the upper broil relay is shorted.

Customer :

got it.

S.E.Thomas :

hope it goes well. happy thanksgiving!!!!!

Customer :

Thank you so much for your help!

S.E.Thomas :

your very welcome. and thank you

S.E.Thomas :

Please do not forget to accept as well!!

S.E.Thomas, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 16 yrs in the field and current owner of S.E.Thomas appliance
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Drats! I got the new panel and installed it, and now I'm having the same problem with the LOWER broiler. It comes on even though I haven't selected it. It seems hard to believe that they'd send me TWO boards in a row with bad broiler relays. I can't help but wonder in this case if I wired something wrong the second time, but the repair manual doesn't show the wiring hookup. I know everything's marked, but there are a lot of empty, unmarked terminals and I just wonder if I missed something. Do you have a diagram for this hookup?

Thanks!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
WAIT! I think I got it. There are 2 positions for the blue lower broiler wire. I think I had it in the wrong one. Seems okay now...

Thanks!
lol. yes and allot of people have made that mistake. i did not realize that this was the board with two. one of the two is always hot the other is only hot when it is selected. well now you can cook x mas dinner. Happy holidays!!!!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The blue wire Switcheroo worked fine. Thanks for getting back to me!