Daniel T.
Daniel T., Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience in appliance repair. NVQ Level 2 electronics manufacturers training courses in England.
15468697

Front load washer door stuck.... I have an electrolux insight

Customer Question

Front load washer door stuck....

I have an electrolux insight (EWN 14991W) with a door which will not open, any chance of fixing this myself? I live out in the sticks and getting a service engineer out will take quite a while.....

Declan
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Tech Larry replied 3 years ago.
Hello I'm Larry and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

if this one has a lower front panel, then remove it and reach up to the door latch and pull down on the release to unlock the door, if not then remoev the screws from the back of the top panel and remove the top, reach down inside to the latch and pull up on the release to unlock the door ,, thanks
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No latch inside this Larry, seems to be some sort of electronic trip....
there shoul be a lever or button on the latch to release the lock
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
definitely not a mechanical lock, seems to be a magnetic....I can see no lever or button on it and I have full access to it.....
Expert:  Daniel T. replied 3 years ago.

Hi

Ok there are 24 versisons of this model number so really you will need the product number but this is on a sticker on the inside of the door so this is hard to get at if the door wont open.

So going of most verisons the door swings out from left to right.

So just try giving the hadle a bang and see if this shocks the door into opening.

Also try unplugging it and leave for a few minutes to see if this will release it.

If not then its likely to be either a faulty door lock or a broken door handle.

For this what you need to do is take off the top and then look down the front on the left hand side and you will see the door lock. Pokeing through this is the door latch pin.

Reach down to this and then push the pin to the right and at the same time pull on the door and it should open from there.

Let me know if this works.

Regards

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

See attached photo of locking mechanism...any ideas now? I assuming this piece needs to be removed

graphic
Expert:  Daniel T. replied 3 years ago.

Hi

Can you take off the grey cover over the lock?

Regards

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I dont think it will come off without breaking...
Expert:  Daniel T. replied 3 years ago.

Hi

Ok theres only 1 way left to open this now. I rememeber doing 1 of these a few months ago for the same thing.

I dont think the door lock will be the problem so dont break it off from there. I think this is just a door handle fault.

What you need to do is get a large flat bladed screw driver and wedge it into the door infront of the handle and prise it open.

Then changes are it should just break the latch plate on the front.

Then once its open you will need a new handle and a new latch plate aswell.

Let me know how it goes.

Regards

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
thanks,

I figured thats how it would turn out eventually.............
Expert:  Daniel T. replied 3 years ago.

Hi

Yes these aren't the best at getting off as the door lock is a sealed box so thres no access to the door hook there.

So this is a case of breaking the door open from the handle side.

Regards

Edited by washer man on 11/23/2010 at 9:01 PM EST