Tom Goellner, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  32 yrs. experience servicing major appliances and HVAC equipment.
6636336

My brand new Whirlpool dishwasher is not working. It was in

My brand new Whirlpool dishwasher is not working. It was in the middle of a washing cycle and I noticed that steam was coming out over the top left corner of the door. It was in the pots and pan cycle and the hi-heat and hi dry light were on too. I pushed the "cancel" button on the dishwasher cycle to cancel the cycle and opened the dishwasher to see if something was stuck. Nothing was; but now the door won't shut. It is open about two inches and I have tried everything to shut it. What can I do?

Karin - Superior, WI
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tom Goellner replied 3 years ago.

tom goellner :

If pushing the cancel button did not help , try killing power to dishwasher for a few minutes ( turn off the circuit breaker ) then restore power and see if dishwasher will now work.

tom goellner :

Since this is a new dishwasher - it could be how it's installed . If the leveling legs are adjusted incorrectly ( too high ) it can actually bow the dishwasher walls and make the door out of square with the cabinet of dishwasher and door won't close properly , or the door is hitting either the countertop or the cabinet on the sides.

tom goellner :

Are you still there ?

Customer:

I can't find out which circuit breaker is for the dishwasher -- there is a kitchen 1 and kitchen 2 -- which do I push -- I rent here - have worked a dishwasher before and never had this problem before -- I've only been in here two weeks; but it seems like it's hitting something and the "door latch" (inside the dishwasher door) won't release

Customer:

It's definitely not hitting the cabinet on the sides and I don't think it's hitting the top -- but I can't get the door latch to come out

tom goellner :

Are there lights or a display on the dishwasher so that you can tell when the breaker is off the dishwasher is also off - that will tell you which one.

Customer:

It's hitting that silver lever inside the upper side of the dishwasher.

Customer:

No -- there is nothing on the display on the dishwasher to show when the breaker is off and I don't want to turn the whole kitchen off in case I get the wrong circuit breaker

tom goellner :

Confused - is the door stuck shut or it won't shut?

Customer:

Tom -- I pushed HARD; got the door to shut and the cancel light came on and now the dishwasher is running; but I'm afraid to do anything with it because I've never had that problem before.

Customer:

Do you always have to press the "dry switch" when you open and close the door with this particular model? I've never seen steam coming out of it before and I have never seen it on the other models I've used. But I don't have the manual for this one.

tom goellner :

Ok it sounds like the leveling legs are not adjusted correctly and making the dishwasher out of square with the door . So open the door and remove the screws at top holding the dishwasher to the cabinet , then remove the screws holding the frontkickplate on and get under ther and adjust the leveling legs so the dishwasher goes DOWN and pull the dishwasher out so it is free of the cabinet at least an inch and see if the door opens and closes correctly . If it does it tells you the legs were making th dishwasher "crooked " so push back in and make the dishwasher less tight in its opening so the door is square with the dishwsher.

Customer:

I can't do that -- I'm handicapped -- do I need to get the owner of the townhouse over here?

Customer:

Why would it all of a sudden become "crooked" when I've been using it everyday since I moved in two weeks ago.

tom goellner :

Why would it become crooked ?? It could have moved enough just from opening and clsoing to cause this . Yes you'll need someone to do this . If this is NOT the problem call for service - it is still under warranty, but check this first because warranty does NOT cover incorrect installation.

Tom Goellner, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 32 yrs. experience servicing major appliances and HVAC equipment.