Tom Goellner, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  32 yrs. experience servicing major appliances and HVAC equipment.

The buzzer on my Maytag dryer will not turn off at the end

The buzzer on my Maytag dryer will not turn off at the end of the dryer cycle unless I open the door. In addition, when I turn the dial to set the drying time, the dryer starts as soon as I shut the door without hitting the "start" button. How do I reset the "off" button?

tom goellner :

If it starts without hitting the start button you may have a defective centrifugal switch , which is part of the motor , not a separate available part . Here's how you can tell- set timer for a normal heat cycle and select a high heat , open the door and feel inside to see if it is heating without the motor running that is a sure sign this centrifugal switch is bad ( this switch does two things - takes the start winding out of circuit once the motor runs and also completes a circuit to let the heat element come on , so if it heats without the motor running this centrifugal switch is defective . The buzzer not shutting off at the end of cycle is a separate problem - the timer