John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.
12064207

GE Adora side by side is not cooling/freezing. It is cool,

Customer Question

GE Adora side by side is not cooling/freezing. It is cool, but not cold in fridge or freezing in freezer. This has lasted for over 2 days now and the ice has completly melted and things are starting to thaw in the freezer. I have had this issue with the unit off and on but the thing starts working again after about a day. This time it looks like it is not going to come back. It is just over 5 yrs old now. Please help.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  John replied 4 years ago.

Thanks for the question.

Is the compressor going

Can you feel frost on the freezer panel.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I don't think the compressor is running. (I would hear the louder noise of it, right?) I just have the faint hum of the fridge like it always does, not like the louder woosh of it cooling down like after it has been open for a while.

I don't know exactly what panel I should check, but there is no frost anywhere in the freezer. Anything that would be frost or ice is now melted.

Expert:  John replied 4 years ago.
Pull the fridge out and check to see if the compressor is hot and if the fan motor by the compressor is going .
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Ok, I pulled it out and the panel off the bottom/back. The compressor is warm, but not to hot that I can't hold my hand on it. Seems like what would be pretty normal. The fan is running.

The unit sounds like normal with the quiet hum of the fan running, but not the louder woosh of it really working to cool down.

Expert:  John replied 4 years ago.
What about the coils are they warm the ones by the compressor, you said the freezer was warm is there no cold at all .
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

The coils are cool to the touch, like room temp with the little breeze the fan is blowing through. Not hot or cold.

The freezer is cool inside, not cold or freezing, but not warm yet, but it is getting there. It and the fridge or loosing the cool/cold.

Additional side note, we had frozen vegies and fruit in the bottom fridge drawers that we through out today. IWe have had issues with this fridge for a couple of years now and have had to put the settings all the way to max cold. but this time its not coming back up and working.

Expert:  John replied 4 years ago.

With your hand on the compressor is it vibrating like its working.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yep, its has that slight vibrating to it
Expert:  John replied 4 years ago.
Ok, well then its bad news , the compressor is going and no cooling at all in the freezer thats a failed compressor and thats a $ 600.00 repair bill.
John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yikes! Just another quick question... Does this mean its been going out for a little while and finally gone and why isn't it doing the turbo running thing to try to cool down since it can't? Thank you for your trouble shooting.
Expert:  John replied 4 years ago.
When a compressor starts to fail the first thing you notice is the soft ice cream then the bread its a gradual decline in the operation of the freezer. the turbo wont work because of the failed compressor.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Ok, unfortunately thanks again.
Expert:  John replied 4 years ago.

I know its bad news , the most important thing you can do for maintenance on a fridge is to keep the coils by the compressor clean, especially if you have animals in the house, dirty coils can cause a compressor to fail..

Thanks and God Bless.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Ok, thank you for the advice! Is this something I will call GE to get a tech out for, our contact some type of local tech? Of course the fridge is out of waranty.
Expert:  John replied 4 years ago.
Its better to call G E on this one their warranty on the replacement part is better and they stand behind their work.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Ok, thanks for all your help. Have a good night.
Expert:  John replied 4 years ago.

You as well.

Thanks and God Bless.