Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

My Kenmore refrigerator model 106.71182100 makes loud sounds

Customer Question

My Kenmore refrigerator model 106.71182100 makes loud sounds every 30min or so. It sounds like something heavy fell down inside. It is not the icemaker and everything is all well inside. The fridge works fine but these sounds became regular and they are quite disturbing. What can be a problem?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 5 years ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

There are only 2 things that can make noise inside the freezer and that the icemaker or the evaporator fan motor. If you've turned the icemaker off and you still get the noise, order and replace the fan inside the freezer behind the back panel. Just pull everything out of the freezer and remove the back panel, it's just held in by screws. Below is a link to the fan motor you'd need to order.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The icemaker is turned off for sure.

Why would the fan motor make the sound which I would describe like a small sized stone fell inside the fridge (or freezer) from a foot or so? What would cause the faulty fan to make such a sound. Note it is not just noise.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 5 years ago.
I didn't know that was the noise you were talking about. If you're getting a large out, that's a bad compressor unfortunately. That's your compressor either stopping and the piston hitting the shell or that's the head pressure of the freon breaking through the heat exchanger, either way that requires a new compressor and that's a $550 repair.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
In case of faulty compressor would fridge continue to be working? Is it safe to keep using it if it still works ok but just sounds disturbing from time to time (every 30 mins there is a 2-3 sec loud sound). our fridge currently works just as fine as two years ago.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 5 years ago.
yes, it will still work but eventually it'll seize or stop cooling, but I've seen the noise going on for years before it finally causes the refrigerator to fail.