Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

how do you you replace a motor control unit on a Kenmore 417-44082400.

Customer Question

how do you you replace a motor control unit on a Kenmore 417-44082400. Is this the right part below? What level of skill does it take i.e. homemaker, handyman, technician, or certified Sears/Kenmore tech?

Electronic control
Number: XXXXXXXXX
Substitution: XXXXXXXXX
Manufacturer authorized substitution: XXXXXXXXX may differ in appearance, but is a functional equivalent to prior parts including XXXXXXXXX

$108.99
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name isXXXXX will be helping you with your appliance issue today.

the part # XXXXX

134743500 and this is $143.00 @ http://www.searspartsdirect.com/partsdirect/part-number/Kenmore-Parts/W asher-Parts/134743500/0026/417/Model-41744082400/0582/0153200?keySuffixId=NA&productTypeId=0153200&searchModelNumber=41744082400&subCompDesc=Cabinet/top&brandDesc=KENMORE&modelDesc=WASHER&blt=11 this is located in the back right hand corner of the washer. I believe your machine has the back access cover you can remove to get to it, hope this helps, thanks, Bryan
this just plugs in.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
What level of skill does it take? Such as me a homemaker, general handyman, technician, or certified Sears/Kenmore tech?
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
you can do this yourself difficulty level is 2 out of 4 , this unit will have screws holding it to the floor of the machine remove them and unplug and plug the new one in.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
my husband is reviewing your answer to see if we have any more q's
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
ok, no problem, heres a diagram of the cabinet if that helps. it really doesn't show the position on the control though. its part # XXXXX on the diagram but sits in the bottom of machine, if you don't have the rear access panel you may need to remove the front bottom panel and go in that way.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thanks for the diagram. I just recalled "Mr.A" took the top of the machine off NOT the back. I should have watched him but, did not realize this was going to be so costly. Coincidentally, I called my dad and he reported that he and my brother had the exact same of motor control board going out on whirlpool duets. they are very mechanical and it was no prob for them to repair. My parents took the bottom panel off and cooled washer till part came in and it functioned flawlessly. I attempted to take the bottom panel off but, the fasteners are too tricky for me. probably designed that way to keep consumers out and not sure it would help me since my part is located on the top. Still waiting on husband's review which looks like it be a few minutes as he is in the middle of analyzing a document.
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.

some are on the top just under the top panel, like I said the diagrams don't show on your it may be just under the top panel. at least you know what it looks like and should be able to locate it on yours, I'm assuming your husband is not there. when ever your ready and think I've helped then press accept , no rush.thanks Bryan

after looking at the part I believe it may be at the top on yours,

Edited by Bryan on 11/11/2010 at 7:54 PM EST
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
You have helped!and what he/we decided is to buy the part and have it repaired by an employee at our business where the machines will be used. This means that I get a NEW set! Yippee!! Since this is your business would you make any recommendations for top of the line set with all bells and whistles that are reliable and need the least svc calls? Budget abt $2500 for set, there is enough height for pedestals or taller machines. I realize that this has turned into a different question and I signed up for unlimited membership for a monthly fee but, I don't know how that affects you. How should we handle?
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
well there are a lot of problems in all the front load machines, whirlpool is probably your best bet, and if you can get the extended warranty that will help. I would go to Lowes and check there , they have good deals on them, and with the money you save get an extended warranty, thats about all i can do. thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thanks! I will look into the extended warranty. did you get my response that 2 other family members had to replace control boards on Whirlpool duets? Additionally, I looked into tthe highest satisfaction/fewest service calls on Consumer reports and they recommend LG as highest on satisfaction. Upon further research, LG consumers have also had to replace control boards. While the spin cycle works for the washload up until the final high rpm I did an experiment while waiting fo your answer. I placed a large quantity of ice on top of the machine to cool the control board where the board seems to reside (since it operates fine until it gets to the high rpm water extraction cycle when it has overheated) and had perfect results. Of course this is not a long term answer. However, the technology flaw of the control board seems to be pervasive in the industry; especially since they are all cranked out of 1 or 2 factories. That must give you an indication I am a bit jaded and disenchanted with our current choices as consumers. I am selecting "Reply to Expert" for you to rcv this response. But, expect that you will receive compensation. If not, shoot me another reply and I will choose "accept". thanks!
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
unfortunately your 100% right, the boards have been and issue in all of the front load machines, L.G. has there share of problems also. if you look at the board closely you will see its made in China! talk about quality control ! cheap labor and poor workmanship is the reason. almost every board is made in another country. you will need to press accept for me to get paid though. thanks and well wishes, Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.