Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

nevermind

nevermind
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name isXXXXX will be helping you with your appliance issue today.

you don't take the back panel off on these dryers, can you get me the full model #.? and also what is the issue with this?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
dont see a model number.
i have a burning smell which i believe is probably not the belt. i cleaned a fairly clogged duct, but before running it again I wanted to clean it from the inside and inspect the heating coils for lint dust. none of the lint I cleaned out of the duct had a burnt smell to it.

how can you clean it without taking the back panel off?
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
if you open the door theres no tag with the model # ?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
no. on the front panel it says commerical grade/ intellidry sensor/ 7 cycles

if one doesnt take the back panel off, how can the unit be repaired?
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
you will need to go in through the front, put all the screws you took out back in on the back. then you need to take a screw driver and pop the top up. about 2 " in form each side between the top and the front panel, push them in and lift the top. then there will be screws either down inside alone the sides or on the top to take the whole front panel door and all off. I don't have your model # XXXXX help any more than that, but believe me you don't remove the back. if the top doesn't pop up check down at the bottom front panel and see if there are screws going in at an angle up from near the bottom of the panel,
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I have to go right now. Can you send me this by email. I will look it over and see if it checks out and then pay you and a bonus, if this is possible to do. cant wait for a response now about this so I hope the payment will work out.
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
you can just come back and post a reply later if needed, we cant email directly its against policy. if you reply later I will receive it, thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I found my model number it is MDE3600AYW

your answer was not clear to me.

"about 2 " in form each side between the top and the front panel, push them in"
what is them? I dont see anything there. also, the top is attached to the electronics housing and dials, etc, and that is attached by two plastic clips to the back, although these clips could be hinges, i dont know.

so, I am not sure about how to pop the top off. once I pop it off, I will look for the screws you mentioned.
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
ok, I found your machine, on this one you need to take the screws out for the hinges and on the other side and pull the front panel # XXXXX out at the top. lift it off the bottom clips. then take the screws out of # XXXXX and the lift the top. remove # XXXXX and then reach in and release the belt if you want to remove the drum, then you can clean the whole inside, thanks for the model# XXXXX helped a lot. Bryan
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
thanks, XXXXX XXXXX telling me to take off the front panel I figured out the rest. I left the drum in, cleaned the rest (thus not getting to the coils), and ran the machine and the burning smell became smoke quickly. Loosening up the lint made it worse.

So I do need to remove the drum: how do I release the belt? Just slide it off and force it over the lip of the drum?
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
reach in and you need to push the the pulley # XXXXX toward the left side and take the belt of the motor, then the drum will pull out through the front. you kinda have to do this by feel though.