Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

OK, I replaced the Pump even though I did not find anything

Customer Question

OK, I replaced the Pump even though I did not find anything in the old one. Now the problem seems to be that it does not spin long enough for all the water to be removed from the clothes. On both the regular and extra spin cycle, it seems that the spin cycle is stopping prematurely, however the knob is still rotating clockwise for a time until it gets to the off position. What now????
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name isXXXXX will be helping you with your appliance issue today.

are you sure this is actually spinning? open the lid and put the machine in spin, put a pencil or something that will fit through the whole where the lid switch is and see if the tub spins. let me know.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes, it is spinning on the spin cycle. How long should the spin cycle last on this machine? Does it depend on the load setting as to its length of spin??
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
is it spinning fast? load settings usually only set the speed not the length of the cycle. can you hold the tub from spinning easy? the clutch maybe worn on this .
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I will check to see if I can hold the tub. But that doesn't explain why it seems to be short spinning. It seems to be spinning fine when it does spin.
Expert:  Chas replied 3 years ago.

Hi, my name isXXXXX am hoping that I will be able to help you with your problem today..

If the unit is not spinning long enough then you have a bad timer on the unit, otherwise the clutch is bad, which is more likely to be the problem with the unit...

WARNING, if you use the OPT OUT button on the tool bar, this will bar me from answering back to you. once pressed I cannot answer anymore of your questions...Use this button with caution...

NEGATIVE FEEDBACK should not be given, I am willing if my advice is not SATISFACTORY to give you a refund of your deposit. I cannot know everything since I am not there with you to see all the conditions that the appliance we are talking about,

Bonuses are welcome if I have helped you a lot, however they are not mandatory

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

We cannot hold the tub and keep it from spinning; not even close.

Today we got a stopwatch and timed the "spin" cycle . . . On four different tries, it would spin LESS THAN 2 miniutes, and from the end of the spin cycle, until the buzzer would go off (which indiciates the end of the cycle), it was 4 minutes.

So, it spins for 2 minutes and rests for 4 minutes. Seems to indicate the spin cycle is stopping short.

Expert:  Chas replied 3 years ago.
THis would be a bad timer then, it has bad spots on the cams... Replace the timer
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Can you send me a video showing me how to change the timer?
Expert:  Chas replied 3 years ago.

Replacing the timer is easy, here is a video on how to get to the control panel, the knob for the timer should screw off and there should be 1 or 2 screws holding it in.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6XIsK3W_Qcg

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

First, this video is for a Whirlpool/Kenmore washer. It is different from the video we watched earlier for a KitchenAid washer.

Second, this video does not mention the timer, nor show where the timer is located or how to replace the timer.

Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
Hi, this is Bryan again, your timer is this one, this is the part , remove screws # XXXXX on the diagram and pull the bottom of the control panel forward and then flip it up its hinged, remove the know by pushing it and spinning it counterclockwise and unscrewing it, pop part # XXXXX off, just pull it off, then you take screws # XXXXX out and the timer will come out the back, unplug it and plug the new one in. put it back together in reverse. the timer is # XXXXX on the diagram. you can order this @ http://www.searspartsdirect.com/partsdirect/part-number/Kitchenaid-Parts/Was her-Parts/3950736/0026/110/Model-KAWS777EQ0/0593/0153200?keySuffixId=NA&productTypeId=x&searchModelNumber=KAWS777EQ0&subCompDesc=Control%20panel&brandDesc=KITCHENAID&modelDesc=DIRECT-DRIVE-WASHER&blt=11 hope this helps, thanks Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.