Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

I have a Maytag Electric range, model # MER5775QAW. Made loud

I have a Maytag Electric range, model # XXXXX Made loud "pop", then oven quit working, display shows "88". Found broiler element burned through and replaced. Still not working and same code. Has been unplugged to reset to no avail. Suggestions?

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name isXXXXX will be helping you with your appliance issue today.

you need to reset the thermal cutoff. its tripped, press the little red button to reset. its #18 on this diagram, its one the back of the range, try reseting that, if that doesn't work your clock is bad. thanks, Bryan

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I cannot find the reset button and appears not accessable from the outside. Is is under one of the rear cover panels? Need more help. Thanks.

I think it is under the rear panel, the diagram doesn't really show but most are.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I'm not home now to check but last night I did. Appears the entire back of range is covered in various removeable panels but no ready ID or access to button observed. When you say "under the rear panel", do you mean I just need take some panels off and hunt for it? Is is possible to pin down any more specific before I go hunting? Thanks.
yes I'm not sure from the diagram which panel in the back its behind, just make sure you unplug before removing any panels.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I pulled every panel off the back and looked everywhere, nooks, cranies, wire paths, etc.. Spent over 1.5 hour and had another person search also. No thermal switch anywhere. I don't believe this oven has one. Any suggestions before I'm forced to call repair man?
thats strange , the diagram shows one, I'm not sure why it shows one, the only other thing would be the clock itself went when the broil element blew. didn't want to send you that direction until we checked the thermostat which apparently yours doesn't have, I would call for service at this point, or change the clock. thanks Bryan