Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

refrigerator cools, freezer wont freeze.

Customer Question

refrigerator cools, freezer won't freeze.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name isXXXXX will be helping you with your appliance issue today.

can you get me the make and model # ?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
ok great . on the back wall in the freezer can you tell me if theres frost on it? also is the fan running ?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

No frost, won't freeze ice and if I put ice in it melts. Yes, fan is blowing in side.

Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
ok you need to remove the back panel in the freezer and check the frost pattern on the coils , can you do that? also there is a fan next to the compressor in the back of the refrigerator is it running? is there a lot of dust in the back? sorry for all the questions but i need to know these things.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Removed rear panel, no frost. Also, fan at compressor not running. I havn't heard compressor kick on since problem.
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
ok, do you have a volt meter?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
No, sorry.
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
there is a defrost timer in this you need to try turning see if the compressor starts. it should be in the back # XXXXX on this diagram, there is a small dial you turn with a screw driver, try that
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Thanks Bryan, Compressor kicked in. But I think I'll be on look out for another Fridge.

thanks again,

Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
ok Mike, thanks and have a great day,Bryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Bryan, compressor kicked in for a moment, shut off has not come on anymore. You think I need new fridge?
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
yeah it sounds like the compressor has had it. time for a new one . sometimes you have to give things up for dead, sorry, thanks Bryan