Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

I have an electric oven/range. When I turn on burners or oven,

I have an electric oven/range. When I turn on burners or oven, the temperature rises and keeps rising until they glow red, even if I turn them down to the lowest setting. I'm pretty handy and would like to do the repair myself. The model number is XXXXX 0.

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name isXXXXX will be helping you with your appliance issue today.

are you talking about both the oven and the top burners? they all get red and stay red or just the oven elements?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Both turn red
so the cook top burners also stay red?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes until I turn them off.
ok well I was just looking at the parts in this, most are unavailable, have you had this a long time? you haven't changed to cord or anything lately have you?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
It is an older model and I have been using it a long time. I have not done any work on it since I started using it in 1997.
ok , it has a shorted or melted wire in it somewhere, pull the range out and unplug it , remove the back panels and check the wiring real good at the controls and all the way down, something is shorted somewhere, if you cant find anything shorted then you will need a new range unfortunately, the parts are discontinued for this. thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Could there be a temperature control unit that is bad and needs replaced?

If so would it be inside the back panels? Will it look burnt?

well since all the burners and the oven are uncontrollable theres a short somewhere. theres no way a temperature control would affect the cook top burners and the temp control(thermostat) is no longer available, theres has to be a short somewhere in the wiring.