Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

dryer not you have my answer

dryer not you have my answer?

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name isXXXXX will be helping you with your appliance issue today.

what does this do when you press start? nothing? no buzz no motor starting?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
It hums when you press and hold the start button but when you stop pressing the button not sound and doesn't work
ok, have someone hold the door switch button while you press start and spin the drum, see if it starts.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

that got it started but after a few seconds it shut off and the burning smell is back.

my downstairs heat is not working could it be related?

no the wouldn't be related to the dryer problem, unfortunately your motor is bad. this is $146.00 but to repair the dryer this would need to be replaced, you can order this @ thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Is it worth replacing the motor in a 12 yr old dryer? Do you do repairs in the Nashville/Nolensville area and what do you charge to install the motor?

ok, well at the age it is I would consider replacing the dryer, I don't do service in Nashville area sorry, its 3 1/2 hours away, the whole job would probably run you around $300.0 with service and labor, I would go to Lowes and get a whirlpool . simpler the better no bells and whistles, this will last you a long time also, these are good machines. the one you have will probably start having other problem soon anyway. its served it purpose and may be time to retire it. thanks, Bryan