Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

My LG Dryer will not turn on. The light on the inside of the

Customer Question

My LG Dryer will not turn on. The light on the inside of the unit does turn on though. The fuse is not loose and the plug is receiving 240v. The lint trap is completely clean, i even unscrewed the plastic surround and cleaned out inside.

Generally, when I press the power button, the display would light up and it would do a little tune, but now it is completely non-responsive. At first I thought it was receiving no power, but when the door is ajar the drum light turns on.

Model # XXXXX
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name isXXXXX will be helping you with your appliance issue today.

ok let me look at your model and I'll be back shortly. thanks Bryan

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you.
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
on the side of the heating element there is a high limit thermostat unplug the dryer and take a wire off of this and check it for continuity. if it has none its bad, Main Product Viewpart # XXXXX on this diagram, let me know , if its good we can check other things,
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Okay, so- I'm running into a brick wall and starting to wonder why I am trying to "do it myself" - but I don't even know how to open this machine up to see the heating element. I unscrewed all the screws on the back plate expecting it to lift off - but no such luck. Then, I thought maybe the top comes off, no ideal.

How do I ago about accessing the interior of the machine?
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
sorry you need to go in from the front. you will need to remove the whole front panel to get to the thermostat, I thought you had already taken this apart once sorry, heres the diagram of the front assembly and cabinet, this can be a pain to do however, take your time.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I'm not understanding this diagram. i got the door off, and I took off the screws, and I took off the fitler screen fixture, I don't see anything else I could unscrew. Would you be able to tell me what my next move once I get the door off and the filter removed.
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
the door should stay on , you have to remove the entire front. there are screws along the back holding the top on. remove those and the top panel. then remove the control panel, once thats off there are screws holding the entire front on the machine, if you don't think you can do this i would call a tech in, this is not an easy job unfortunately but it needs to be checked.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I just got the front off. Unfortunately, I've got to go into the office for about 2 hours. Will you be available then?
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
sure come back and reply and i will get it, thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Bryan,

I was able to check it and there is continuity
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
ok check the door switch the same way and the other high limit # XXXXX on the diagram,
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
They are both working. I know I haven't checked everything, but it seems like everything is working - it seems like the only thing that isn't working is the display. Even if one of these items had been bad, wouldn't the display have at least turned on? I know it would't have let me use the machine, but it would have had an error message or something, or in a perfect world..
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Is there any way to check this just to be sure before I spend ~$90 on a replacement?
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
I don't know of a way, these are electronic and there no test that i know of sorry.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Okay.

I know I typed this earlier, but I just want to be sure this doesn't affect the solution of buying a new one.

When we plugged the dryer in the for the first time after our move, the display did come on, it flashed "filter" a few times, and then it just went off. It hasn'tcome on since, even for a diagnostic test.

Let me know if you still think I should buy the new control.
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
all L.G dryers flash filter to remind them to clean the filter before starting the machine, this is normal. since it wont even come on for the diagnostic test this tells me the control board has failed, if you could get this into diagnostic mode the board would be working. L.G has a lot off issues , if you decide to buy a new one go with a simple whirlpool dryer. they are far less trouble and far less expensive. thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Bad news, I replaced the control board and just hooked it all up - no go. :(