Tom Johnston
Tom Johnston, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20 years experience

Customer Question

We have a Whirlpool Duet washer that is about 2 years old. The washer gives us the rL error code each time we try to clean the drum. The error occurs about 2.5 minutes into the cycle and there is nothing in the washer. We have tried it dozens of times and get the same result.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tom Johnston replied 5 years ago.
Hi welcome to just answer my name is XXXXX XXXXX i will be helping you today with your problem.

That code is sensing there is nothing in the drum.The machine detects the load by wieght with out a load it will not run.

If this has been helpfull please press accept. Thank you.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Actually, Tom, I think the code is sensing that there is something in the drum when there is not. I understand it detects by weight - that is why I beleive there is either something wrong with the sensor - or something in the washer that makes it sense weight that is not there. Doesn't sound like you have seen this before.
Did you try to put a load in it?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

The washer works fine with a load in - this is a cleaning process recommended by the manufacturer. It only shows an error when cleaning.