S.E.Thomas
S.E.Thomas, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  16 yrs in the field and current owner of S.E.Thomas appliance
23707800

I have a dryer with a 3 prong plug and my new house has a 4

I have a dryer with a 3 prong plug and my new house has a 4 prong plug. I went and got the new cord, but i am having trouble fixing it.

How do I know which of the four new wires go on the old 3 terminals?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  S.E.Thomas replied 3 years ago.

S.E.Thomas :

hello, i would be glad to assist you. you have 4 wires, white, red, white and green. the red and black go on the out side two terminals. the white goes in the middle and the green goes to the ground screw. you can also put it on the screw that holds the cover if you wish.

Customer:

Does it matter what side (left or right) the red and black go on?

S.E.Thomas :

no it makes no difference. they are both 120 volt lines. just so there on the out side two terminals and the white is in the center.

Customer:

the green one can go with the screw on the cover? How do you screw it on when the plate is in the way?

Customer:

do all of them have a ground screw because we can't see that?

S.E.Thomas :

the plate will bend around it. if you look at the center post there should be a metal strap coming off of it to a screw. do you see that?

Customer:

yes I see the strap and screw

S.E.Thomas :

that is the ground screw.

S.E.Thomas :

remove the screw and the strap can be broke off by bending it back and fourth. it is not used with a four prong cord.

S.E.Thomas :

it makes no difference if you do not remove it however.

Customer:

ok so I put the green on inbetween the screw and the strap? The strap I am looking at seems to be holding up the 3 terminals.....right?

S.E.Thomas :

yes that is where it goes. the strap is simply there to ground the center terminal to the dryer frame for a three wire cord.

S.E.Thomas :

it does not hold anything in place and can be removed at this point if you wish.

Customer:

ok, can I reply after I have tried this in a little while?

S.E.Thomas :

you can reply at any time.

S.E.Thomas :

even if i am not online

S.E.Thomas :

i will still receive your reply.

Customer:

thank you! works great

S.E.Thomas :

i see you have not accepted my answer. is there something else i can assist you with?

S.E.Thomas, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 16 yrs in the field and current owner of S.E.Thomas appliance