Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

My refrigerator is not cooling. The motor is running, but

My refrigerator is not cooling. The motor is running, but the air vent in the back of the refrigerator doesn't seem to be pushing much air through. The freezer seems to be cooling fine. I have a Kenmore Coldspot (07/2001), Model # XXXXX Serial # XXXXX

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name isXXXXX will be helping you with your appliance issue today.

is the fan running in the freezer?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Yes, the fan is running.
ok, did you say you took the back panel off inside the freezer section? to check for frost on the silver coils?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Not the back panel, no. the "L" shaped panel covering the fan on the ceiling of the refrigerator. No ice that I could see, but I did see ice around the fan in the freezer.
ok, you have a defrost problem, you need to remove the back panel inside the freezer # XXXXX on this diagram,

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here
once you get that off you will probably see a ton of frost on the coils, this clogs up the air flow to the fresh food section. you need to take a hair dryer and defrost all the frost off the coils, most likely the defrost thermostat is bad in this,

Register Here
this is clipped to the top of the coils, you can order this @ http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Defrost-Thermostat/586213?modelNumber=106.71192100 this should have continuity when it cold, thanks Bryan