Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

my whirlpool duet front load washer will not unlock after a

my whirlpool duet front load washer will not unlock after a complete cycle. there are no error codes flashing and i've already tried pressing and holding the "end of cycle" button. the controls don't seem to be locked--they come on but the machine will not start.

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name isXXXXX will be helping you with your appliance issue today.

do you have a model #?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I don't know the model #
ok under the door there is an access panel,there will be three screws close to the floor (you may need to lay down to see them.) remove the screws and reach up to the door latch assembly. there will be a small ring on the bottom of it pull this ring down to open the door. you can see the ring on the left side of this picture it will be facing down in the machine however,

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here
before doing this try unplugging the machine for five minutes, if it doesn't unlock you need to replace the lock assembly, when you get it open get me the model # XXXXX the door and i will look this up for you, thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Thank you Bryan. I am hoping that unplugging the machine will work, so I don't have to take the machine apart! What would cause the control to malfunction? Why won't the machine start when I try to start another cycle?

well the door latch assembly is most likely the cause not the control board itself I hope, I was just trying to helps you get it open so you could get the clothes out and go from there. this may run after you get it open and the board resets, there is a switch on the door lock assembly that resets the board, it may happen again though.