Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

I have a dacor ERD 36. The up/down buttons have stopped working.

Customer Question

I have a dacor ERD 36. The up/down buttons have stopped working. If I turn on the oven the temperature will just keep rising until it hits 555 degrees. If i press the button for timer or clock the numbers will just keep going up until they hit the highest they can get.

One work around i've found, is that if I turn the oven on, and immediately press the down key hard and long, it will stop at a particular number, and if I hold it until the oven kicks in, then it will heat the oven to that temperature. The problem with this work around is that the numbers start at 350 degrees so can't get a lower temperature as I can't make the numbers go backward.

I'n any case, I need some ideas if you have any. I spent a fortune on this oven a year or so ago for the beeping issue and am not looking forward to replacing the same parts all over again.

I did try the turn the power off and on trick but it didn't reset anything. After watching the appliance repair guy take the oven apart the last time to reach the electronics, I know hard that can be so haven't done the eraser thing I see mentioned on this site.

I probably have to call a tech but just thought I'd check in with you all first.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 5 years ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

This is a common problem and it means that your touchpad "up" button is stuck. You'll need to replace the touchpad to fix the problem and unfortunately the touchpad is a $250-300 part.