John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.
12064207

I have an Amana refrigerator (model 8XD524VE). Although the

Customer Question

I have an Amana refrigerator (model 8XD524VE). Although the fridge side is working perfectly the freezer side has stopped working. I've consulted the manual but can't find anything that will help.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  John replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for the question.

Can you feel or see frost on the freezer panel and is the fan motor going in the freezer.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
There is no frost on the freezer panel and the fan motor is going ok
Expert:  John replied 3 years ago.
Pull the fridge out and check the coils at the back by the compressor if their dirty it can cause the problem.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
We can try this but how long will it take to know whether this solves the problem? It seems that it will take a while to find out if this sorts the problem - just thinking that if it works how do I get back on to you
Expert:  John replied 3 years ago.
Well if you find the coils very bad and they can get that way you can bet its the problem its a common problem with all fridges that have the coils at the bottom with the fan its worse if you have animals in the house then you should clean them twice a year.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I checked the back of the appliance and could only find the motor so I cleaned around it. At the bottom front of the appliance (behind some sort of facade) there appears to be what may be the coils so I've cleaned out around there. I've put something in the freezer. What happens if I pay now and it doesn't solve the problem? Can I come back to you?
Expert:  John replied 3 years ago.
Oh yes you can just because you accept that doesnt mean you cant ask more questions.It should work for you though.
John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Freezer still isn't working. Maybe I should have mentioned before that the air is in the freeser is cool (similar to the fridge) but obviously not cold enough to freeze. This afternoon I tried switching the appliance off for a few hours then truned it back on - this hasn't made any difference.
Expert:  John replied 3 years ago.
Did you check the freezer coils to see if their frosted up if they are it could cause the problem , turning the fridge off wont fix anything you check the coils and let me know if their frosted and how much of the coils have frost on them.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Sorry but I'm a "non-techie" but what exactly do the coils look like and where exactly would I find them? The only thing I can see at the bottom of the freezer (behind the facia) is a sort of wire grid and I cleaned in around there last night.
Expert:  John replied 3 years ago.
Did you pull that kick plate off to clean behind it its important to keep the coils clean.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes I pulled the kick plate off (Ithat's what I referred to as the facia) and cleaned behind it - I'll see if there's anything I missed and get back to you later and let you know the result.
Expert:  John replied 3 years ago.

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

The number 1891 is the panel in the freezer that you can remove to see if the freezer coils are frosted , if their not frosted tell me how much of the coil is cold.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Does the appliance need to be off before the panel is removed?
Expert:  John replied 3 years ago.
Its best to have the fridge off when removing the panel.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Having difficulty getting some of the bolts/screws off because they're so close to the side of the freezer and we only have a multi-head spanner which is too big. Will have to go and buy something to get the screws off. Will get back to you later with the information you are looking for.
Expert:  John replied 3 years ago.
Ok let me know how you make out.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Have checked the coils and they are not frosted at all. They feel cold to the touch but aren't freezing.
Expert:  John replied 3 years ago.
If the coils are like you say not cold the problem could be the compressor, the coils should be cold enough that you shouldn't be able to hold you hand on the coils because of the cold.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I can hold my hand against the coils with no problem. Is there anything that can be done about the compressor?
Expert:  John replied 3 years ago.
The only thing to do is replace the compressor and your looking at a $ 600.00 repair .if its less than 5 yrs its covered under the warranty.
John, Home Appliance Technician
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Many thanks for your help but living in Northern Ireland there is no local service engineer for Amana and the replacement of the compressor is undoubtedly not a straightforward task. Guess I'll be looking for a replacement now. They say things go in three's well the freezer is the 3rd thing to go in the last few weeks - have just replaced my dishwasher and tumble drier. Here's hoping nothing else goes!
Expert:  John replied 3 years ago.

Its your three so your ok for a few years, its not a job you can do it takes special tool and a license.

Thanks and God Bless.