Tim Alan
Tim Alan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Amana, A&E (Whirlpool) ,and Maytag factory service
51145682

Hi. When the washer is filling up with water in the wash and

Hi. When the washer is filling up with water in the wash and rinse cycles, a small amount of water leaks from underneath the washer. I checked the connections to the cold water and hot water taps as well the drain and the water is not coming from there. Major or minor problem?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tim Alan replied 3 years ago.

Tim Alan :

Hi my name isXXXXX can help you with your issue, this is probably not a major issue, probably just a loose hose and or crack /hole in the hose how much water do you find on the floor.

Tim Alan :

Is it just in the cycles that the unit is filling?

Customer :

Tim,

Customer :

Hi. The hose and connections are not leaking water. There is a little water coming out the bottom when the rinse and wash cycle run

Customer :

The hoses and connections are all dry

Tim Alan :

I am talking about inside the machine

Customer :

oh, okay. where do I look?

Tim Alan :

do you know how to take the unit apart?

Customer :

Never done that before. Do I take the back panel off?

Tim Alan :

I can walk you through it if not

Customer :

okay

Tim Alan :

don't touch the back panel ok

Customer :

okay

Tim Alan :

on the rear of the control panel there are 2 philips screws in each corner

Customer :

okay

Tim Alan :

remove those the control panel slides forward slightly and you flip the control panel up and back

Tim Alan :

unplug the unit please

Customer :

okay

Tim Alan :

then there are 2 brackets that hold the back panel to the case you use a large flat screw driver and pop those off

Tim Alan :

once those are off the whole wrapper/case is leaned forward and it's all open

Customer :

okay

Tim Alan :

you have it apart?

Customer :

yes

Tim Alan :

good job make sure the rear panel is forward you may have to hold it plug it in turn it on and see were the water is leaking from you do see the valve on the right, the hose and the plastic piece were the water comes out right thats called the vacuum break

Customer :

okay

Tim Alan :

let me know what you find

Customer :

okay...hold on

Tim Alan :

it may not be evident right away I use a drop light

Customer :

I filled it up in stages and ran the machine in wash and rinse. No Leaks. Before the water at the bottom was steady and ran along the grout line in the tile. Now. no leak?

Tim Alan :

amazing huh

Tim Alan :

that's a typical leak

Customer :

Any suggestions?

Tim Alan :

check down at the bottom by the pump in the front and run your hands on the underside of the hoses

Tim Alan :

look underneath the unit with a light you may see a drip

Customer :

No water at all now and the hoses and pump are dry

Tim Alan :

put it in a spin you will have to put the case back on and connect the lid switch pump it out for a minute or 2 take the case back off and check again

Customer :

Is it possible that the tub was out of alignment and leaked?

Customer :

okay

Tim Alan :

anything is possible

Tim Alan :

when you had it agitating was the inner basket turning also?

Customer :

Not sure. Is it possible to revisit in a couple hours. have a dr appt for the girls

Tim Alan :

sure just let me know when

Customer :

After 5?

Tim Alan :

ok

Customer :

okay. I will have to leave this window open?

Tim Alan :

you can or just log back in hit the save and exit

Customer :

okay...thanks

Tim Alan :

your welcome

Customer :

Tim, Are you there?

Tim Alan :

yes go ahead

Customer :

Hi. Trying to put it back together after running it a few times without a leak. Having trouble fitting the shell back on the frame. Does the shell bottom fit on top of the frame? It appears it does

Tim Alan :

no lean it back slide the front in under the frame the sides go down on top of the frame then push the rear panel in place then the brackets

Tim Alan :

you may have to tap the bottom with your foot to nudge it a little

Customer :

okay....will try that. Thanks. Going to run it back together to run it afterward

Tim Alan :

ok

Tim Alan :

when were done don't forget to press the accept button and leave a comment, couple of things could have happened the lead may have been off balance and you could have gotten some spray out or sloshing out during the agitation

Tim Alan :

make sure the tub is centered before using besides that were only guessing as to what really happened sometimes it happens once or twice than never again don't know what else to tell you.

Customer :

Okay. Think it is going to work. Thanks for your help and thanks for checking back with me at 5!

Customer :

I guess you have to talk last for me to accept?

Tim Alan :

your welcome glad it wasn't serious

Tim Alan :

try it now

Tim Alan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: Amana, A&E (Whirlpool) ,and Maytag factory service