John, restaurant equipment technician
Experience:  25+ years experience. I'm now employed by a commercial cooking equipment service company

Hi there. I have a Sharp R963 Convection Microwave which has

Customer Question

Hi there. I have a Sharp R963 Convection Microwave which has given me very good service for about 10 years now. Last night my husband took the turntable out to clean it and wiped the sides down inside but when I tried to heat a meal in it afterwards it would not work. The convection part still works, please tell me what the problem might be?/
Many thanks
Category: Appliance
Expert:  John replied 5 years ago.

I searched for parts information using the model number you posted, but I got no response from my parts sources. The actual model number should be printed on an i.d. sticker that's located somewhere on or near the oven door, or on the edge of the control panel frame. Will you please send it to me, when you find it?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I am sorry it is R-953 not R963
Expert:  John replied 5 years ago.
Does the interior light come on, when you close the door?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
No the interior light has not worked for a while, but the microwave still worked ok
Expert:  John replied 5 years ago.
OK. Thank you. Does the microwave show any signs of life. Does the plate turn, or the display board lights work?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes the plate turns and all the diplay board lights up
Expert:  John replied 5 years ago.

OK. Thank you. There are two switches on the door latch assembly, which sense the position of the door(open or closed) to keep the magnetron from operating with the door open. These switches wear out, and need to be replaced.

The part number is XXXXX and the price is $2.40. You can purchase them at Their phone number is(NNN) NNN-NNNN

The replace the switches, you need to remove the U-shaped oven cover, and look in the area behind the touchpad. You'll see the latch assembly attached to the right side oven wall. The switches fit into holders on the latch assembly.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hi there John thank you for your answer, we live in the UK not America??, so how would we get the part here and surely the part number would not be the same??
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hi there again John, if this is the case why does the convection oven still work??
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Just looked in the microwave and it does not have a U shaped cover and no way of getting in behind the control pad/touch cover?.
This microwave is 9.5 years old. I list it's Serial Number here too, it may be of more help.
Serial Number is XXXXX
Expert:  John replied 5 years ago.
OK. I'll redirect your question to one of our U.K. appliance experts, and they'll be able to assist you.