Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

I have Whrilpool model GEW9250PW front loader dryer. I have

Customer Question

I have Whrilpool model GEW9250PW front loader dryer. I have gone thru 2 machine control boards p/n(NNN) NNN-NNNNthis last one lasted for 3 weeks. The orginal problem was that only the inside dryr light was on. Nothing else worked. Whirlpool had me punched a bunch of buttons in different orders unplug the dryer then plug it back in etc... I have tech sheet from inside front cover of dryer and checked all the test the only thing that I found is a differnt reading was for the motor should be 2.4-3.8 ohms both my winding read 1.6 ohms as best I can tell since the wiring coming from the motor to harness don't have the color coded wires just plastic coated copper wire. Will this cause the main board to fry?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 4 years ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

1.6 is actually correct. It's hard to explain but I'll try. The start and run winding are in parallel so when the motor isn't running and the centrifigul switch is closed becaused the motor is idle, the resistance goes through both windings which is the average fo the two windings devided by 2. The average of the windings is 3.1 ohms divided by 2 is 1.55 (1.6) ohms which is why you're getting that reading (meaning everything on your motor is good).

Nothing really shorts these control boards out in my experience except for moisture and and power outages. I would be looking more at your power supply to make sure it's not fuctuating too much and make sure your vent has a cover on the outside of your house so that wind won't blow moisture back into the dryer and cause the board to short out.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I I checked the vent to the outside and it's clear and door is closed and I cleaned out duct work to the outside when I had it open this last time. The only thing that is differnt on the electrical side is we just installed a tankless waterheater 100amp 220v. could this be causing flucations and if so is there anything we can install to islolate the dryer?

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 4 years ago.
you can add a surge protector breaker to the breaker box on the circuit breaker going to the dryer itself, but that's about it as far as preventing fluctuations on voltage. Aside from that, if the vent is clear and the flap on the damper outside is shutting, I'm not sure what else to try.
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience: 9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I will go get a new breaker and install it and buy a new board "again" and give it a try. Thanks Don

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 4 years ago.
no problem, I'm sorry sorry about your mis-fortune. There should be a 90 day warranty on the part so you shouldn't have to pay for it at least. I wish you the best of luck.