Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

My GE bottom freezer has locked. Cant open drawer at all

Customer Question

My GE bottom freezer has locked. Can't open drawer at all - not even a crack. Water leaking from bottom of door. What is causing this?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tim Alan replied 3 years ago.

Tim Alan :

Hi my name isXXXXX can help you with your issue.

Tim Alan :

If you have an ice maker it could be coming from the ice maker, or the defrost drain could be plugged up and the water has migrated to the front.

Tim Alan :

You may have to really work the door in and out to free it, use a hair dry to thaw it out if you can get to, try blowing a fan underneath the door, your last resort is to turn off the unit and let it thaw out to loosen up the ice enough to open the door

Tim Alan :

hopefully this will help, let me know if you need any further assistance otherwise please press the accept button and leave a comment thanks

Customer :

I'm having trouble with sending my reply. Had already tried hair dryer. Have had stuck ice problem before. This is different in that the door won't budge - like an oven door that is locked when on clean cycle. The thermostat reads -1 degree F. When I try to raise it, the freezer and frig shut off. Could something else be going on or do you still think shutting it off would help. Can I disconnect the water connection in the meantime? How would I do that?

Tim Alan :

hi are you there?

Tim Alan :

If the unit is hooked up to water locate the shut off valve for the refrigerator and turn it off

Tim Alan :

turning it off would be the last resort, but by turning it off it would thaw out and the ice would melt

Customer :

Yes, back. Where would the valve be located? I opened the top panel and didn't see anything obvious. If it's behind the unit, I'm not going to be able to move it. You still think its ice?

Tim Alan :

good chance it is ice if you noticed water coming out of the freezer section, if you can't budge it the drawer must be completely frozen to the bottom of the freezer, your shut could be anywere if you have a basement it could be down there

Tim Alan :

the water line is 1/4" could be copper or plastic

Customer :

I would just like a reply regarding the thermostat setting as stated above - why would the freezer temp be so low and why would raising it shut off the freezer and refrigerator. What would that have to do with ice/water leaking from freezer.

Expert:  Chas replied 3 years ago.

Hi, my name isXXXXX am hoping that I will be able to help you with your problem today..

Have you got the door opened yet?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No. Shut evrything off at 6 pm last night. Still didn't budge this morning. Not even a little. No more water coming from bottom since yesterday. If it was ice in the bottom, I would have expected to see a lot more water once we shut the unit off. Thanks.
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name isXXXXX will be helping you with your appliance issue today.

has this opened yet ? if there was a lot of ice in the freezer this could take more than just overnight to defrost, although you should still see water comming out if it still has ice in it. there is no lock on these. can you get me the model #?