Bob L Your  Appl Pal
Bob L Your Appl Pal, Home Appliance Tech
Experience:  23 Years Major Appliance Repair

I was using the self cleaning cycle in my GE Spectra Range

Customer Question

I was using the self cleaning cycle in my GE Spectra Range & noticed a flame. So I interrupted
the cycle & turned oven off. The lever will move to the left now thats its cooled down, but
it will not unlock to Open the oven. Please give me some suggestions.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bob L Your Appl Pal replied 3 years ago.
Hi my name is XXXXX XXXXX you are explaining the lever linkage has become disconnected from the door switch..The only way to open the oven is to take a object (coat hanger Round metal rod Etc.) Insert it between the top of door and top of oven to disengage the door latch itself..Do you have a model number..? Thanks Bob
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I am at work but I will go home at lunch & get the model #. Probably be back at 2:30. I will try it & get back to you.
No problem..The problem you have is one that is difficult to repair as the latch is inside the door opening..So there really is no proper way of opening the door...Also once you use the accept optinon today if you have the time please stop by and leave some feedback for my time helping you with your repair..If you also have any further questions please ask..Thanks Bob
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I tried turning off circuit breaker off for a few minutes. then turned it back on. Used a metal hanger but nothing happened. Is the switch on the locked side or open side of the lever. I tried the center also. Nothing changed.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I tried your suggestion but it did not work. Any other possibilities?
What is the model number..You can usally find this by pulling out the bottom drawer..The number will be on the frame of the stove.Like i said there is really no easy way to open the door...You are basically forcing the lock open
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

JPC 78? Bought it new in June 2000.

Not a good model number..
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Model JBP 78 W082WW

Serial HZ(NNN) NNN-NNNN/p>

Hopefully this matches something. Thanks for your patience.

Heres a better look at how the latch is positioned..Like i said theres no real simple way to open the door..You can also try replacing the computer and see if that will open the door...Very expensive way to go..If the lock was the problem it still will not open the door

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here