Tim Alan
Tim Alan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Amana, A&E (Whirlpool) ,and Maytag factory service
51145682

side by side refrigerator freezer compartment gathering water

side by side refrigerator freezer compartment gathering water in bottom deck and then freezing and leaking out door
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tim Alan replied 3 years ago.

Tim Alan :

Hi my name is XXXXX XXXXX like your defrost drain is plugged up.

Tim Alan :

You will need to access the area behind the rear panel, clear out the ice and flush the drain, not difficult just time consuming.

Tim Alan :

I see you thawed out the freezer and a tech looked at the drain, what was done to clear the drain?

Customer :

is this a design flaw or should i spend the money to get a 11yr old side by side fixed

Tim Alan :

all drains have the potential of plugging up doesn't matter what make or model

Customer :

is the drain in a easy access once i get the rear panel off sure seems to be alot of tubes in the back is it clearly marked

Tim Alan :

Unless your having other issue with the unit a plugged drain is not a major problem

Tim Alan :

do it from the front, just remove the back panel on the rear of the freezer.

Tim Alan :

the ice on the bottom of the pan needs to be cleared out for a proper repair

Tim Alan :

that ice may need 2 days to thaw out to completely melt

Customer :

thawed ot yeasterday only a little ice in bottom can i expect ice build up in the drain

Tim Alan :

I take a small hammer and gently tap the sheet of ice to break it up, I then clear out the ice and flush the drain with hot water and use a piece of 1/4" plastic tubing and run it through the drain. Yes ice builds up in the drain tube.

Tim Alan :

if you have a wet dry vac you can reverse the hose and blow it out too.

Customer :

will do thank you tim for the help seems this may be a ongoing problem and i will see what the cause is a tech was going to charge 50$ for a house call so it seems i may have saved myself 25$ Thank you have a nice Day

Tim Alan :

your welcome don't forget to press the accept button and leave a comment and thank you

Tim Alan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: Amana, A&E (Whirlpool) ,and Maytag factory service