Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

Hi. I have a 3 year old side by side GE refridgerator - model

Hi. I have a 3 year old side by side GE refridgerator - model # XXXXX

two months ago, thrrough a service call, the control board was replaced which eliminated an intermittant fan noise behind the ice maker in the back of the freezer . That's good.

Unfortunately, at the same service call, the rubber pad that covers the ice shoot was also replaced - i think it's part number sr17x11653 - hoping to help the inconsistent closing of the ice shoot. The new pad seems to have helped the closing issue.

However, now when the air pressure is balanced after opening and then closing the freezer door, a very loud 5 to 10 second squeal eminates from the ice shoot cover perimeter. Normally, in a kitchen, i wouldn't care. Unfortunately, this refriderator is in a kitchen that is a part of a great room.

Is there any simple fix to this squeal - i've washed the gasket, i tried a little cooking oil on the gasket, i've pushed on the gasket to make it was connected well to the underlying holder - nothing seems to change the squeal. should i cut a little notch in the gasket to allow a little more air to more quietly without hopefully compromising the efficiency? Do you have any ideas?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 6 years ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

This just means your unit is making a good seal but if the noise bothers you, take a toothpick and tape it to the gasket at the top of your freezer door. This will allow just a small gap to allow air to get into the freezer so the noise doesn't happen anymore. It shouldn't cause any noticable extra work for the refrigerator, less than opening the door once a week I would imagine.