Tom Johnston
Tom Johnston, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20 years experience
14207197

Hello - I have a GE Dishwasher Model PDW9200. We had a power

Customer Question

Hello - I have a GE Dishwasher Model PDW9200. We had a power outage a few days ago and when the power came back on the dishwasher was making a constant high pitched noise and none of the buttons work. Turned off power at breaker for extended period but still not luck.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tom Johnston replied 6 years ago.
Hi welcome to just answer my name is XXXXX XXXXX i will be helping you today with your problem.

What type of noise is it making ?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
It is a constant electronic beep - not an on and off beep
Ok to fix it you will need to replace the computer. To access it you need to remove the inside door panel. Remove the screws around the edges it lifts up.

If this has been helpfull please press accept. Thank you.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Do you have a part number?
You can order it at www.repairclinic.com this is the part #(NNN) NNN-NNNNbr />
If this has been helpfull please press accept.Thank you.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Hi Tom - the price of that component is $107. How sure are you that it is the defective component?
I'am very sure according to the symptoms you have posted that is the problem.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Tom - GE told me the PN is WD21X10216 (computer) for my model (PDW9200J03WW). On RepairClinic.com this PN brings up

http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Circuit-Board-or-Timer/1088603

The PN you gave me earlier brings up a different PN

http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Control-Board/1028884

Which one is correct?

Use the ge number wd21x10216
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Hi Tom - I bought a new computer (WD21X10216) and it was the correct component. Unfortunately, it did not resolve the issue. When I connected all of the wires it still made the same noise (a constant high pitched tone). This tone comes from what looks like a small circular speaker on the computer module.

There are 4 groups of wires that connect to the computer, one of them contains just two wires (black and white) which I assume is the main power. When I make this connection and none of the other 3 the unit makes the same high pitched tone. I tested these two wires and they are reading 120V. Also, none of the buttons on the keypad work or even light up. Thanks for you help

The next is the touch pad.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thanks, Tom. Could it be anything else? Considering just bringing in a GE engineer if it could be something other than control module or touchpad b/c combined they will have set me back more than $250
From your last post you said the board was getting power so that means the door lock switchs are fine. Since it is the exact same thing i don't think the control board is bad so all that is left is the touch pad.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
OK. I will buy a new touchpad and let you know. Thanks
ok
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Thanks. Will be glad to throw a few more $$ your way if this resolves it.

When I tested the two wires (black and white that come through the door cover) they were live but I dont recall if the main part of the front door (the part that the control module screws into) was closed. Are you saying it must have been closed b/c you think the door switches are fine. If the main part of the door is open would there be no power across those two wires?

Yes if the door switchs are closed then the board gets power. Just to double check you can close the door while testing the board for power so the switch is engaged.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I was cheking the wires that plug into the board while they were disconnected from the board. They were live. Not sure how to test the board while the is closed
Was the door closed?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Cant remember.
You had to have had the door closed or there would not of been power.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

ok

Let me know what happens.