Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

The pilot light in my oven is on but the burner wont light.

The pilot light in my oven is on but the burner won't light. Any suggestions?
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

Is your pilot light a little flame or is it a glow bar igniter?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
ok, well if the flame isn't turning on, it means that your thermistor isn't sensing the flame correctly. There is a little probe (usually copper looking) that sticks in the flame and when it warms up and realizes a flame is touching it, it opens the safety gas valve. Unfortunately the sensor isn't sensing correctly. It has a very long wire looking attachment to it that goes back to the valve. You'll need to order and replace this thermistor in order to correct the issue.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Is the thermistor a standard part? This is a fairly old stove. If it is, about how much do they cost?
it's fairly standard, sometimes you can actually just pick one up at Home Depot in the furnace section if it's the same size. If not, you'll need to order it directly from the manufacturer. The cost of the part is usually less than $30 or so.