Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

Maytag Gemini model MER6872BCS. Error code F9-2 Latch Unlock

Customer Question

Maytag Gemini model MER6872BCS.
Error code F9-2 "Latch Unlock Upper"
Whilst performing a lower oven self clean the upper oven remains locked and thus the range inoperative. The error code remains lit after poering down the range. Please advise how to clear this error code and unlock the upper oven. I suspect that the upper oven door switch will need replacing after this is cleared. Please advise as soon as possible.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name isXXXXX will be helping you with your appliance issue today.

this is a tough one, the latch/lock assembly has failed. these are hard to open when they are locked, first thing to try is shut the breaker off for 5 minutes then turn it back on, see if it unlocks, if not you will need to make a hook out of a coat hanger and get it into the door and pull the hook over to the left and try to get the door open that way, once you get it open you will need to replace the latch assembly, here the diagram of the latch assembly, you can see the latch hook in the diagram,if you cant get it open you will need to call a tech unfortunately.

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

No need for your help, as I found the user manual, which advises that you should remove the top to access the upper latch. There are two bolts holding the top down at each corner, a 9mm open ended spanner will remove these. Once the top was off I could see a lose connection to the switch. I repaired and tested the connection, all okay and range cleaning is continuing on the upper oven.

You can use my explanation for removing the top cover as what you suggested using a coat hanger to pull on the latch would never work as there is a cam which rotates to lock the latch.

Perhaps you could get hold of the user manual for a better idea as to solutions.

Please confirm that I will not be charged as I did not require your help, which turns out would not work anyway.

Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
ok great usually you cant get to the screws to lift the top when the doors locked. thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

You can with an open ended spanner as they are Hex heads.

Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
ok, I appreciate that info, next time I'll look a little closer at the diagrams, I believe your referring to the ones that go straight down from the top, the diagrams are deceiving, thanks Bryan