Tom Johnston
Tom Johnston, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20 years experience
14207197

Whirlpool Gold frig Model GC5SHEXNSOO How do I clean the

Whirlpool Gold frig Model GC5SHEXNSOO

How do I clean the a clogged drain tube.........the water is leaking on the floor?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tom Johnston replied 6 years ago.
Hi welcome to just answer my name is XXXXX XXXXX i will be helping you today with your problem.

You need to empty the freezer remove the lower inside bak wall of the freezer. Then use a hair dryer to remove the ice in the drain tray. Then use boiling water to clear the drain hole. Once you have the back wall off the tray is below the coil.

If this has been helpfull please press accept.Thank you.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Unfortunately, I will have to do this later..it is too much to do now, but I will respond and let you know if it worked........thanks
Ok it will work.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I was totally unable to remove the inside wall of the freezer...You almost need a schematic to do that. I did use a hair dryer to defrost the coils, and also put boiling water down the drain............Now I have another huge puddle of water under my frig! I cleaned it up and tried just 4 ounces of hot water down the drain, and I still had water accumulate under my frig. Guess I need some more help here...........Also, I have been doing these chores with my frig unplugged, for safety reasons.
The back panel is just held on with screws here is a breakdown of it.

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

If this has been helpfull please press accept. Thank you.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
No, In order to remove that piece I am going to have to remove all the shelving hardware! There is no way for this piece to move without doing that. If I leave my frig unplugged to totally unthaw, will this cure my problem?
Yes you would have to remove the shelfs.There is a very good chance leaving it unplugged to defrost would solve the problem.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I do know that I will never buy another frig without first checking how to clear up this issue..........removing the shelves is easy, but the removal of the hardware holding the shelving will be a pain ( to say the least) Do you think 2 hours unplugged would be enough to defrost? Also, the drain plug is accepting water and going down ok........so why would it still leak onto my floor after putting in the hot water?
If the drain is clear then it is fine and you should not get anymore water.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I will give this a 24 hour period to see if what I have done has resolved the issue and then respond back. Thanks Tom! Have a nice day.
Ok i will talk to you then have a good day.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
After doing all of the above, my ice maker is making ice and can see no leaks from that.......however now my kitchen floor is flooded with water! What now
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
FYI I turned off the water intake for the ice-maker and the "flooding" has now stopped. There is now visible leakage from either tube for the water to pass for the ice or water to the door.

Your next step is to check the water valve for leakage.Pull the fridge out and remove the lower back panel. Turn the water on and see if you can find the leak.