Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!
11418111

I have a kitchen Aid dishwasher (KUD1021RBL1) that will not

Customer Question

I have a kitchen Aid dishwasher (KUD1021RBL1) that will not drain. I replaced the control already and checked the drain hose line. Still not working. Any suggestions?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 4 years ago.

Hi, thanks for using JustAnswer.com. First, lets start with the basics. Do you hear the pump turn on when you select "Cancel/Drain" on the control? If you do, there has to be a restriction of some kind in the drain system. Does the unit drain into a garbage disposal? If so, has it been replaced recently and was the plug removed? If the unit drains into an air gap at the top of the sink, have you looked to be sure the air gap is not plugged? Let me know how your drain hose is installed in relation to your home plumbing, ie. to dosposal, sink tailpiece, air gap, etc.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
No disposal. It taps into the trap area. I removed the hose at both ends and blew air through without restriction.
Expert:  Kelly replied 4 years ago.

Okay, do you hear the drain pump activate when you select the cancel drain button?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
yes but nothing drains
Expert:  Kelly replied 4 years ago.
Okay, the actual pump or the sump housing must be obstructed. Do you have basic hand tools like a 1/4" socket or nut driver and a T-15 Torx screwdriver? I can guide you in disassembly to see what's going on but you will need those tools.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Too late now to start to disassemble. How do I get back to you tomorrow? Also, don't know if this matters but it seems like the wash cyle is going longer now.

Expert:  Kelly replied 4 years ago.
Okay, it likely is a plugged sump, which is accessed through the inside of the dishwasher. I will post disassembly instructions for you and you can access them anytime by coming back to this thread. I will be out on the service truck all day tomorrow but will leave you detailed instruction. You will need a T-15 and a T-10 Tors screwdriver available at any hardware or department store.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks. I will get back with you after I tear down.
Expert:  Kelly replied 4 years ago.
Okay, have a good night.
Expert:  Kelly replied 4 years ago.

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Number 6 and number 8 is going to be where this is going to be plugged. You will need to remove the lower spray arm by turning the center nut clockwise and pulling it out. Remove the feed cap (number 2 in the lower picture) by lifting small tab and turning it clockwise as well. Once removed, you will see four T-15 Torx screws, remove them and lift the accumulator (filter) out and set it aside. You will then have access to the number 6 piece. Remove the T-10 Torx screw and see if there is "gunk" plugging that area and the chopper (number 8 in the upper picture). Clean it all out and reassemble, and you should be good to go. If this area is all clean, let me know and we will go to the drain pump but the pump usually is not the source of obstruction.

Register Here

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Alright , I have everything apart down to the chopper. There is no obstruction. Where do I go next?
Expert:  Kelly replied 4 years ago.
If the chopper is clear of debris, next step is to remove the drain pump. It is located on the right hand side of the sump housing underneath. Remove the bottom panels and you will see the pump off to the right. Remove the drain hose and see if anything is clogging the pump housing. If not, release the tab on top of the pump and rotate the pump 1/4 turn backward (toward you.)
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
i pulled the pump. no debris there or in the line. Is the a way to test the pump? sorry for being late getting back was working some ot.
Expert:  Kelly replied 4 years ago.
Sure, just hit the cancel drain button on the control and see if the drain impeller turns while you have the pump off. Is there anything in the drain hose right where it hooks onto the sump?
Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience: Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
pump spins. i used compressed air to blow through the line both ways with no restrictions. could there be something between the chopper and the pump? i was going to manually drain the washer, then pull the hose again. if there is a restriction before the pump, no water should come out of the hose. the only other thing could be a kink in the hose somewhere and when i pull the washer out it frees and when i push it back it kinks. what do you think.
Expert:  Kelly replied 4 years ago.
Put a small amount of water in the dishwasher and pull the drain hose off. That will tell you if the sump is plugged or if it something with the hose. With the unit in place, can you blow through the drain hose towards where it pumps out from the hose that is connected to the pump outlet?