John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.

My dishwasher has been making glasses and plastic cloudy, and

My dishwasher has been making glasses and plastic cloudy, and leaving a film on the dishes. I heard it might be from the auto dish soap? what's up?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  John replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for the question.

try this for me fill a cup with vinegar and set on the top rack then go through a cycle with all the cloudy dishes you have , let me know if the vinegar made a difference.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
ok I will try it tonight. I'll get back to you tomorrow. do you think this will be a one time fix, or if this is it, will I have to do this all the time? I'll be back tomorrow. thank you.
Expert:  John replied 3 years ago.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYQr0j3oiOI

If it makes a difference the problem is hard water this product is made to help with that problem.

Expert:  John replied 3 years ago.
You have to use this once a month as well .
Expert:  John replied 3 years ago.
Also turn the water on at the kitchen tap till the water gets steamy this will make sure the water getting to the tub is as hot as it can be this could also cause the problem.
Expert:  John replied 3 years ago.
Let me know if any of the things I asked worked for you.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I ran the vinegar twice, the dishes did not come out clear, I put the worst ones in.

I can try purchasing the cleaner. see if that works.

our make is Maytag quiet Series 200

other than the hot water and the cleaner, is there anything mechanical that my husband can try with it? thanks. Terri

Expert:  John replied 3 years ago.
Can you send me the complete model number I will look at the pump system and let you know.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I sent my husband to Lowe's for dishwasher magic!

Ours is Maytag Quiet Series 200 Model # XXXXX

thank you ! Terri

Expert:  John replied 3 years ago.

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

The number 7 clogs up get to that part and clean it out it should fix the problem.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

the cycle I ran with dirty dishes today was a good result! I will still have my husband pull #7 and clean it real good, but I think this is solved for now! Thank you very much!

Expert:  John replied 3 years ago.

Your very welcome.

Thanks and god Bless.

John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Sorry to take so long...we went to Barnum & Bailey circus here in Pittsburgh last night!

It was fun....I ran another load of dishes today and even the plastic came out clear. I think the good cleaning was all it neeeded. thank you for all your help. God Bless you too! Take care, Terri

Expert:  John replied 3 years ago.

I'm glad you guys had fun.

Thanks and God Bless.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Appliance doctor - I am a returning customer - I have another problem that you can help me with - not sure how to get you paid,but will if you could provide instructions - but we like working with you and need your help.

The washing machine makes a tremedous noise during the spin cycle - I have taken the washing machine apart and have checked the four suspension springs and they do not appear damaged - although one top of the spring assembly was turned away from the drum center and the other three suspension spring assembly tops were oriented toward the center. Could that be an issue for the loud noise?

Make : Kenmore Elite Oasis (total care flex, King size capacity, QuietPak)

Model: 110.28032701

Ser: CW3470240

Typ: 581

Please advise.

thanks,

Brian (my wife is Terri)

P.S. Dishwasher is still working well

Expert:  John replied 3 years ago.

http://www.searspartsdirect.com/partsdirect/part-model/Kenmore-elite-Parts/Washer-Parts/Model-11028032701/0583/0153200/K0802028/00003?blt=06&prst=&shdMod=

Does the spring look like its been hitting something , the noise could also be from the motor did you check that , take a look at the breakdown .

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I check the springs and they do not appear to be hitting anything. I can hear (and feel the weight of ) some water sloshing around in the bottom but ca't see it - is this normal ?

Regarding the motor (i am not sure what to check?)- is it stator motor part 17 in diagram? If it is do I look for broken teeth or stuff clogging the teeth by looking through part 18?

Expert:  John replied 3 years ago.
First thing I would do is remove the agitator and check under that Its hard to say where the noise is from as I'm not there right.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
okay - agitator and inner basket is removed - there appears to be a black rub mark on the outer tub from the basket (at the location of the suspension spring that was turned the wrong way) . Suspect that this location may be were some rubbing has occurred .Also water is in bottom of basket (can not see water - can hear it sloshing around inside basket that has been removed from outer tub). Also, there is water in the bottom of the outer tub next to drain. Water in bottom apppears with what looks like black mold in proximity of drain outlet - could the drain be partially clogged and water not able to dishsarge from washer properly (just a hunch) -see picture below?

Register Here
Expert:  John replied 3 years ago.

That could happen if the water isn't draining out fast enough the tub can go off kilter .

You can check the water pump for any blockage.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I drained the water, wiped inner base clean and removed the cover plate covering the pump ports in the bottom of the outer tub. The channels in the cover plate had some gelatinous material throughout that I cleaned out and now looks like in the figure - could this have been blockage? I blew air through the dishcarge hose and air discharged out of the port in base of outer tub so I do not think the disharge hose is blocked. Any other way to check the water pump for blockage?

Register Here

Expert:  John replied 3 years ago.

http://www.searspartsdirect.com/partsdirect/part-model/Kenmore-elite-Parts/Washer-Parts/Model-11028032701/0583/0153200/K0802028/00004?blt=06&prst=&shdMod=

That model has two pumps a recirculating and a drain pump if you found all that crud I would also clean the pumps.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
How do you clean the pumps ?
Expert:  John replied 3 years ago.
Remove them from the washer and rinse them out is the best way you should be able to see them from the top .
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Removed both motors and washed water through the ports on motors - nothing much came out (minor amount of black stuff).

Anything else? or should I try and put back together and see if I can get it working?

Expert:  John replied 3 years ago.

Thats what I would do put it back together and see what happens.

Good Luck.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I will put it together tomorrow and let you know how it goes

talk to you tomorrow.

brian

Expert:  John replied 3 years ago.
Ok Brian .
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Doc,

Got the washing machine back together (no left over parts - hooray) and ran a load of laundry - machine works fine but the loud spin cycle noise is still there - any thing need lubricated on these things or any other ideas on what might cause the loud noise. I did level the machine and it is dead nuts on level.

Expert:  John replied 3 years ago.
Is the noise like a bearing noise. like a dry bearing .
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
very possible - yes - is there a bearing that can be lubricated
Expert:  John replied 3 years ago.

http://www.searspartsdirect.com/partsdirect/part-model/Kenmore-elite-Parts/Washer-Parts/Model-11028032701/0583/0153200/K0802028/00003?blt=06&prst=&shdMod

You can try the number nine and eight thats the tub bearing a little oil may help depends on how badly its worn.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Doc,

I can add a little oil to the parts 8 and 9 but my gut tells me different based on the following:

When I remove the agitator and inner tub i think I am looking at the bolt to the rotor assembly (which appears as a bolt pressed onto a bearing) - when I spin the bolt I hear the sound similar (although not as loud)t o the sound when it is on spin cycle - the diagram and parts list indicate the bolt to be nonserviceable and part of the rotor assembly (part 21) - do the rotors go bad and need to be replaced - is there any maintenace -i.e., grease packing- to the rotor bearing the rotor bolt rides on?

If it is the rotor, is it worth fxing, in your opinion? (I do appreciate your help)

Expert:  John replied 3 years ago.

No maintenance on that part , the price isn't bad for the part and its worth fixing the unit .

Its not an old washer.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

How do you replace the rotor assembly?

To replace the rotor assembly by tearing the machine down - remove agitator, remove inner drum, remove outer drum, remove stator motor then replace rotor

or is there a simple way to replace rotor -

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Where the spindle like shaft (that the inner tub- part 10 and the part number 8 and 9 fit over fits over and the agitator fits over and is screwed onto) goes through the inside of the outer tub there appears to be a bearing between the spindle like shaft and the outer tub.

Is the spindle like shaft the rotor bolt - part 22? and is the bearing part of the rotor assembly?

The diagram shows the agitator connecting to the bolt rotor assembly part 22 - is the bolt rotor assembly the spindle like shaft protruding up out of the inner tube? but when I look on line at photos of the rotor assembly the bolt seems short and there is no shaft or bearing - something does not make sense to me

i seek clarification of the rotor and spindle like shaft the agitator fits over and is screwed onto.

Expert:  John replied 3 years ago.
The breakdown doesnt show the shaft from the motor are you sure its not parts 8 and 9 try the oil on those two parts
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Both hubs 8 and 9 attach to the inner tub.

Hi Doc,

With the inner tube removed and looking into the bottom of the outer tube - the shaft goes through a bearing - the noise is heard when I rotate the shaft (with the inner tub and hub parts 8 and 9 removed - I'll oil the bearing along with the hub parts 8 and 9 and see if I still hear the noise and report back to you - I appreicate you help and patience with this.

Happy New Year -

Brian

Expert:  John replied 3 years ago.

Your welcome Brian

Have a great New Year.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Doc,

I could not resist so I flipped over the washer and removed the Rotor bolt and rotor.

I spun the center shaft and the noise is coming from the bearings attached to the center shaft. There is a 3/4 inch nut attahed to the shaft. Please see photo. Should I remove this nut to get at the bearings - these are not shown on the parts list but I am now pretty confident that this is the issue. Can you advise on these bearing, are these repalceable, have you ever replaced them and is it worth it? Should I just keep using the washer and put up with the noise? Thanks - Brian

Register Here

Expert:  John replied 3 years ago.
You have to buy the complete part the bearing doesnt come separate it is worth replacing for the price of it.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

How do I remove it - just loosen/remove the nut and pull the bearings and shaft out?

Where woud I get tthe part?

Expert:  John replied 3 years ago.
The part can be bought at Sears and yes thats the way it comes out.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

thanks Doc,

I will go to sears and let you know what happens

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hey Doc,

You fish? I fished at a place called the Irwin Inn near Petersborough and caught lots of Bass

Expert:  John replied 3 years ago.
I know the place well I repair their Appliance.
John, Home Appliance Technician